Restart

I am not the outstanding silhouette which may be common to the T-Nation boards. I played O-line in football threw stuff in track.

This offseason I took care of my cardio and lower body strength and flexibility quite well, but my upper body lost a little, in part due to a shoulder injury.

I was recruited to play football for a little DIII school, but decided to focus on grades and save some ware on my body. I went through two-a-days, with all that jazz, and quit the day before the roster was finalized.

I was 6’5 300’lbs at the beginning of camp. Since quitting I have dropped down to about 1000 calories/day(about 50g protein and an effort to get enough vitamins) while running 5 days/week. My plan was to come back to human size.

I’ve noticed that, while fitting in to much smaller pant sizes, my shoulders are smaller.

So now for primarily cosmetic reasons, and because I might decide to throw for track, I started lifting again two weeks ago. I’m still eating no more the 1000 cal/day and my numbers show that of a beginner’s.

I am concerned because although I am as weak as I was when I first started lifting in highschool, I do not get nearly as sore anymore(although I am sore for longer). Does this mean gaining will be harder?

Also, could I be hurting my strength by lifting with such a low caloric intake?

[quote]swam wrote:
I am not the outstanding silhouette which may be common to the T-Nation boards. I played O-line in football threw stuff in track.

This offseason I took care of my cardio and lower body strength and flexibility quite well, but my upper body lost a little, in part due to a shoulder injury.

I was recruited to play football for a little DIII school, but decided to focus on grades and save some ware on my body. I went through two-a-days, with all that jazz, and quit the day before the roster was finalized.

I was 6’5 300’lbs at the beginning of camp. Since quitting I have dropped down to about 1000 calories/day(about 50g protein and an effort to get enough vitamins) while running 5 days/week. My plan was to come back to human size.

I’ve noticed that, while fitting in to much smaller pant sizes, my shoulders are smaller.

So now for primarily cosmetic reasons, and because I might decide to throw for track, I started lifting again two weeks ago. I’m still eating no more the 1000 cal/day and my numbers show that of a beginner’s.

I am concerned because although I am as weak as I was when I first started lifting in highschool, I do not get nearly as sore anymore(although I am sore for longer). Does this mean gaining will be harder?

Also, could I be hurting my strength by lifting with such a low caloric intake?

[/quote]

Yes. Eat a ton more. At 300 pounds you will be able to lose weight at like 3000 or more a day, if you’re lifting.

Read up on this site, especially Berardi and CT’s carb cycling article.

And eat more.

In all honesty, I’m concerned about the legitimacy? of this post.

According to your profile, you’ve been a member here for 8 months, yet you really have to ask if 1000 cals. and with a total of 50g/p is sufficient caloric intake for anyone let alone a 6’5" 300lber!!

Of course your shoulders are smaller. You’ve lost a ton of weight, some of which, if not a majority, was muscle. You need to read up on here about dietary needs and you need to begin a serious weight program to not only keep the muscle you have, but to add some lbm to your frame.

I’m not 300lbs anymore, by the way. I was in the 270’s at the begining of the week. I don’t really mean to be a tank, I just want to be an average looking guy. Once I’m that then I’ll worry about building up again.

Imagine I asked this question instead, when I return to a normal diet- will it be harder to regain, as my muscles have already been exposed to weightlifting?

And, as I am now loosing quite rapidly, could it be worse to lift?

And feell free to question my legitimacy. I’m not 100% certain of anyone on forum’s myself.

[quote]swam wrote:
I’m not 300lbs anymore, by the way. I was in the 270’s at the begining of the week. I don’t really mean to be a tank, I just want to be an average looking guy. Once I’m that then I’ll worry about building up again.

Imagine I asked this question instead, when I return to a normal diet- will it be harder to regain, as my muscles have already been exposed to weightlifting?

And, as I am now loosing quite rapidly, could it be worse to lift?

And feell free to question my legitimacy. I’m not 100% certain of anyone on forum’s myself.[/quote]

By the time you get to whatever magical weight you feel makes you ‘normal,’ you will have left yourself fatter than you were before you started. At this caloric level you are chewing muscle and storing fat–no question.

I question the legitimacy because of the completely irrational formula you have chosen to look ‘normal.’

This is frustrating.

I imagined I could just will my weight down.

Your right. I need more then blind volition.

I’ll eat a bigger breakfast tommaorw and work my way back to a sane meal plan.

Your shitting years of hard work down the toilet in a matter of weeks with this approach. what the hells the hurry go a bit slower change the body comp not just the weight preserve the muscle and you just may if you halt your plan now be more than average.

What events do you intend on competing in for track? Throwing events? If that’s the case I’d think you’d want to stay much larger.