Rest Times vs. Reps

Resting between sets, I usually go for:
less than 6 reps - 120 sec
7-15 reps - 90 sec
more than 15 reps - 60 sec

I’ve always seemed to get the idea reading articles around here and some books that the pros (coaches and competitors) recommend resting for shorter periods of time. Looking around at my gym, most people take very long rest periods, and even those who pay attention to the clock usually rest over 120 sec for most sets.

I know this is highly individual. For me, I kinda feel I would be able to squeeze one more rep or two by resting some 60 sec more on less than 6 rep sets, or by resting 30 sec more on 7-15 rep sets. Should I do it for the reps?

You’re overthinking this, dude.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
You’re overthinking this, dude. [/quote]

Big time, rest what you need to be able to give your next set an all out effort…

well it depends on your goal? Are you going for hypertrophy, weight loss or strength?

[quote]Serd wrote:
well it depends on your goal? Are you going for hypertrophy, weight loss or strength?[/quote]

hypertrophy.

[quote]Mr.Bill wrote:
Itchy wrote:

Big time, rest what you need to be able to give your next set an all out effort…
[/quote]

He’s not overthinking it big time, like the above post asked, depends what his goals are.

Then go for shorter rest times in general, but I’d still recomment lifting heavy weights and giving yourself enough rest time to ensure you progress. 2 minutes, as you said, sounds about right anyways.

dont make it too complicated.

Go for it when you feel good again!

I take 3 minutes rest time and multiply that by the % of my ORM that I am lifting.

I simply go by what I think I need. I’m going to mass right now, while “trying” to also increase vascularity and definition. So I wait till I feel I’m back to 100% so I can give my muscle fibers all they can take, and not limit my reps due to oxygen, energy related fatigue. I would rather wait 5 minutes between sets if I have to.

Just what seems to work the best for me. If I go into another set too early sometimes I will knock 3 reps off what I did 45 seconds before that.

2-3 min for neural training. 3-6reps
45-90s for structural training. 8-12 reps

[quote]PF_88 wrote:
Mr.Bill wrote:
Itchy wrote:

He’s not overthinking it big time, like the above post asked, depends what his goals are.[/quote]

I disagree. People act like there is a maximum rest time that is written in stone. 30-60 seconds for hypertrophy, 3-5 minutes for limit strength, blah blah blah.

I know this may come as a shock to some, but whether you wait 90 seconds between sets or 105 seconds, this aint the thing that is going to decide whether or not your training is effective.

Please put down the calculators and spreadsheets and go lift.

[quote]the.israeli wrote:
Serd wrote:
well it depends on your goal? Are you going for hypertrophy, weight loss or strength?

hypertrophy.[/quote]

If you’re training for hypertrophy, keep the rest time short, 75-90 seconds when working in the 8-12 rep zone.

[quote]Itchy wrote:
PF_88 wrote:
Mr.Bill wrote:
Itchy wrote:

He’s not overthinking it big time, like the above post asked, depends what his goals are.

I disagree. People act like there is a maximum rest time that is written in stone. 30-60 seconds for hypertrophy, 3-5 minutes for limit strength, blah blah blah.

I know this may come as a shock to some, but whether you wait 90 seconds between sets or 105 seconds, this aint the thing that is going to decide whether or not your training is effective.

Please put down the calculators and spreadsheets and go lift.[/quote]

There’s a difference between effective and more effective. While either way he is getting stronger and more muscular he may have goals that include being the strong(EST) or advancing the quick(EST). If that’s the case then every .1% advantage adds up. Otherwise if he’s just trying to look like an in shape gym rat or something then your right 30 seconds won’t change a thing.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:

There’s a difference between effective and more effective. While either way he is getting stronger and more muscular he may have goals that include being the strong(EST) or advancing the quick(EST). If that’s the case then every .1% advantage adds up. Otherwise if he’s just trying to look like an in shape gym rat or something then your right 30 seconds won’t change a thing. [/quote]

My point is that there is no magic number which is “best” for whatever your goal might be.

You should rest enough so that you will be able to complete your next set. This doesn’t require a stopwatch. Unless you are going for a metabolic effect which requires very short rest periods, there’s no reason to be so anal about it.