Rest Time to Maximize Hypertrophy

I use what I believe is 14" between the hands, though I have not measured it. Not all bars have the same knurling, but the one I use seems fairly standard: this is with the hands entirely gripping knurling but with the insides right on the edge of the smooth.

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
I use what I believe is 14" between the hands, though I have not measured it. Not all bars have the same knurling, but the one I use seems fairly standard: this is with the hands entirely gripping knurling but with the insides right on the edge of the smooth.[/quote]

Yeah, that’s what I do as well on the IH presses. (anything is better than that bs 6-8 inch grip I see mentioned in every other book or article for any form of close-grip press…)

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
The OP is operating under some misconceptions in imagining that there is a universal, always-the-case answer to this, and in imagining that studies will exist to show it.

First, a study will never provide such a broad answer. What it may show is that comparing specific exercise programs A and B with each other, where the only difference is rest time, on a test subject population of such and such characteristics, such-and-such effect was seen on hypertrophy as a function of rest time.

That would not answer the question whether exercise program C would show the same dependence on rest time.

It also would not show if the same dependence would be seen with subjects of differing experience, or different recent training history, or different diet, etc.

Or, if you don’t want to bother with all that, let’s just sum it up this way: There is no one best answer to your question. Not even for any one individual. Under different circumstances, different rest times will work better.[/quote]

wow, you sound like a freak then

[quote]Cephalic_Carnage wrote:
Yeah, that’s what I do as well on the IH presses. (anything is better than that bs 6-8 inch grip I see mentioned in every other book or article for any form of close-grip press…)

[/quote]

I ceased to have problems with my grip on close-grip benching once I realized I can actually rack the EZ-bar in a normal bench rack at my gym.

Very close grip, very direct focus on the triceps, no problems with balance due to the angles and shortness of the bar, plus I still get to use heavy weights.

Sure beats hoisting the damn thing up from your crotch each set… and no more bothersome straight bar.

[quote]mr popular wrote:
Cephalic_Carnage wrote:

I ceased to have problems with my grip on close-grip benching once I realized I can actually rack the EZ-bar in a normal bench rack at my gym.

Very close grip, very direct focus on the triceps, no problems with balance due to the angles and shortness of the bar, plus I still get to use heavy weights.

Sure beats hoisting the damn thing up from your crotch each set… and no more bothersome straight bar.[/quote]

I have seen many bodybuilders use that bar for CGP’s, and usually they only managed around half the weight one would get on an elbows-tucked CGP …

The close grip on the EZ bar makes my shoulders hurt, too (and my elbows in the bottom parts of ROM), but that may be an individual/structure thing.

Anyway, overall I prefer the smith RGB with that odd grip as well as IH presses… Those coupled with PJR’s and scott extensions pretty much make up the mainstay of my tricep movements.

Add in the elbows-tucked cgp when the above presses stall and some lying EZ extensions (bar comes down behind the head, higher reps…) in case I need a new extension move, and that’s it.