T Nation

Rest Required?

Currently i am doing this: pull,push,legs,rest,rest

Is it a waste of time having two rest days, could i cut it down to one and still be fine? i would get higher frequency and still have enough time between training the same musclegroups for them to recover. I have been told that i should have two for my CNS to recovery, which is in use and is getting tired no matter which muscle i am using.

i am bulking right now, i strive for 8 hours sleep a night but i seldom get it, i binge drink sometimes, i always train with high intensity and do linear progression on most of the exercises i do,

also at the end of every month i’m going to start taking 5 days rest.

so do you think my recovery can handle it? of course there is no way anyone else but me can know 100%.

Maybe your plan is not optimal. Depending on your volume/intensity/muscle mass, the 2 rest days might be needed. Try with 1, if you need 2, i would split them work work rest work rest. Just common sense. I need little rest but i have small muscles and do WO of 50 min. or less.
All the best!

You have to find that out for yourself. If you progress from workout to workout
You get enough rest, if you dont, eat more/sleep more. And dont worry about burning out your cns and
that kind of stuff, unless you want to be 170lbs for the rest of your training career

a lot of people who do push/pull/legs do it push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs/off so yeah 2 days of rest is probably more then enough.

A lot of people train 5-6 days a week and they recover fine. I don’t see how this is any different.

You have to find that out for yourself. If you progress from workout to workout
You get enough rest, if you dont, eat more/sleep more. And dont worry about burning out your cns and
that kind of stuff, unless you want to be 170lbs for the rest of your training career

If you’re paying attention to your body, you should know when you’ve over-reached. If you have to ask us if you need to rest, you’re not working hard enough.

[quote]fisch wrote:
a lot of people who do push/pull/legs do it push/pull/legs/push/pull/legs/off so yeah 2 days of rest is probably more then enough.

A lot of people train 5-6 days a week and they recover fine. I don’t see how this is any different.[/quote]

train different muscle groups 5-6 days a week, clearly different

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

A lot of people train 5-6 days a week and they recover fine. I don’t see how this is any different.[/quote]

[/quote]

FAIL.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

no one is hitting every muscle group every day

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

[/quote]

His post was exactly the same split the OP’s talking about…push/pull/legs. Where you got different muscle group every day is beyond me. Was never mentioned.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

[/quote]

His post was exactly the same split the OP’s talking about…push/pull/legs. Where you got different muscle group every day is beyond me. Was never mentioned. [/quote]

i should stop reading from the bottom up

anyway, question is kind of dumb… muscle group frequency is all that matters in terms of recovery time. not sure why you would want to take 3 days off between lifting OP, especially since most push/pull/legs are somewhat low volume

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

[/quote]

His post was exactly the same split the OP’s talking about…push/pull/legs. Where you got different muscle group every day is beyond me. Was never mentioned. [/quote]

anyway, question is kind of dumb… muscle group frequency is all that matters in terms of recovery time. not sure why you would want to take 3 days off between lifting OP, especially since most push/pull/legs are somewhat low volume
[/quote]

he actually says 2 days haha

@OP feel free to try training every other day, but 2 days of rest in a row is perfectly fine too

[quote]nuts wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

[/quote]

[/quote]

@OP feel free to try training every other day, but 2 days of rest in a row is perfectly fine too[/quote]

was referring to ops post where he says

push pull legs off off

actually thats 4 days off, even worse…

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]nuts wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

[/quote]

[/quote]

@OP feel free to try training every other day, but 2 days of rest in a row is perfectly fine too[/quote]

push pull legs off off

[/quote]

once again…

FAIL.

Id honestly worry more about the binge drinking than the rest days…

But then again, everything in moderation…including moderation

It depends on how hard you push your body. If you are killing yourself, you might need more than two. If your workouts are not too intense, than two might be too much. Listen to your body. When you need rest, rest. When you need to lift, lift. When you need to eat, eat.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]nuts wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

[/quote]

[/quote]

push pull legs off off

[/quote]

once again…

FAIL.[/quote]

he means 4 days off from each muscle group . you have 4 days until you have to “push” again pull(1), legs(2) , rest(3), rest(4)

[quote]orourkei wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]nuts wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]fisch wrote:

[/quote]

FAIL. [/quote]

which part is a fail?

[/quote]

[/quote]

push pull legs off off

[/quote]

once again…

FAIL.[/quote]

he means 4 days off from each muscle group . you have 4 days until you have to “push” again pull(1), legs(2) , rest(3), rest(4)[/quote]

Is this a new cool game ?

push/pull/legs/rest repeat is PLENTY of rest and recovery. as stated before, this split with 1 day of rest is common. i did that split for 6 months and made good progress. the key is just manage volume.

I will cut down rest days by one and see how that goes, thanks for replies