Rest Periods

Hey Guys, just curious about something. I usually do workouts out of books or from this website as opposed to creating my own. I am 203 lb aiming for 220 lb and am currently working out 5 days a week doing hypertrophy (8-12 rep) based workouts, swapping between workout A (consisting of pushing exercises) and B (Squat and Deadlift, then pulling exercises) and I was curious about two things.

First, the workout I am doing now recommends 30 seconds rest between exercises but the last hypertrophy based workout was 60 seconds or more. What is the optimal rest time for hypertrophy workouts? Also I was curious about when to increase reps or loads in a workout that is really just 2 workouts repeated. Should I try to up a rep or load weekly? or should I try every workout? I change my workouts every three weeks but I kind of like this format.

Also
(sorry for all the questions) if my loads go down at all from workout to workout will my muscular goals be affected, I am concerned most with size now and can worry about strength later if need be. Thanks

Most people say 30-120 seconds rest is best for hypertrophy, on the higher end for the bigger, more well trained muscles and the lower end for the smaller, less trained muscles.

Hypertrophy? I would say, if doing it in straight sets (set, rest, set, rest) then at least 90secs to 2mins.

But if you’re doing alternating sets (exercise 1, rest, exercise 2, rest) then 45secs to 1 minute.

30secs is pretty useless for hypertrophy. That is TOTALLY a fat loss rest time that you’re using there.

As for increasing load and reps, always go for as many reps as you can. If you can hit 12, increase the weight. If you plateau for more than 2 consecutive sessions, change something.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
30secs is pretty useless for hypertrophy.[/quote]

30 seconds work well with Gironda’s 8x8 as far as hypertrophy is concerned.

[quote]undeadlift wrote:
Sxio wrote:
30secs is pretty useless for hypertrophy.

30 seconds work well with Gironda’s 8x8 as far as hypertrophy is concerned.[/quote]

And I hear drinking mainly tea all day worked great to get Bruce Lee buff as well. Should we do that too?

Look I know what you’re saying, but that was back in the 50s. We’ve moved on since then.

But obviously if you think it works for you then go for it. But i would never, ever recommend a 30sec rest period for a trainee looking for size or strength, only endurance or fat loss.

[quote]Sxio wrote:
undeadlift wrote:
Sxio wrote:
30secs is pretty useless for hypertrophy.

30 seconds work well with Gironda’s 8x8 as far as hypertrophy is concerned.

And I hear drinking mainly tea all day worked great to get Bruce Lee buff as well. Should we do that too?

Look I know what you’re saying, but that was back in the 50s. We’ve moved on since then.

But obviously if you think it works for you then go for it. But i would never, ever recommend a 30sec rest period for a trainee looking for size or strength, only endurance or fat loss. [/quote]

I see. Well, the difference between drinking tea all day and 8x8 is that 8x8 is still effective today. I believe CT wrote an article about it. http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1100725

But yeah, 30 seconds is more on the fat loss side, but it still can be used for hypertrophy, It’s definitely not for strength. http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1702383

If I may, like I said earlier on I change the workout every three weeks to eep things fresh, couldn’t the low rest periods provide new stimulation on my muscles causing growth. Also I keep track of my weight and as long is doesn’t go down its working right? But what happens if my strength depletes, will it cost me my size, I figured i would finish up my goals for size before going into strength goals anyway. Comments would be appreciated.

However long it takes for me to be able to breath well enough again for the next set.