Rest Periods with Ladders

CT,
First and foremost, glad to hear you are back in the gym and getting strength levels back up. More importantly, healthy and out of the hospital.

I have recently started incorporating the ladders into my training, and today I was wondering, while doing them, how much rest should be taken within a given ladder.

Today, I performed the 3 reps, rested 45 sec, performed 2 reps, rested 30, and then performed 1. A few weeks ago, I was resting anywhere from 60-75 sec. between the 3/2/1 reps. What a big difference today! Felt more like a cluster set. Is this amount of rest what you would recommend? Thank you!

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
CT,
First and foremost, glad to hear you are back in the gym and getting strength levels back up. More importantly, healthy and out of the hospital.

I have recently started incorporating the ladders into my training, and today I was wondering, while doing them, how much rest should be taken within a given ladder.

Today, I performed the 3 reps, rested 45 sec, performed 2 reps, rested 30, and then performed 1. A few weeks ago, I was resting anywhere from 60-75 sec. between the 3/2/1 reps. What a big difference today! Felt more like a cluster set. Is this amount of rest what you would recommend? Thank you![/quote]

Wave ladders are a strength method… the goal is to maximize the amount of weight you can lift. DENSITY is one of the most important factor in my training… HOWEVER in that specific case the goal is solely to lift more weight. If you do not rest enough you will fatigue faster and will not be able to do as many rounds. But if you rest too much you’ll fall out of the zone. 60-75 seconds sounds about right.

[quote]jbalplayr02 wrote:
Today, I performed the 3 reps, rested 45 sec, performed 2 reps, rested 30, and then performed 1. A few weeks ago, I was resting anywhere from 60-75 sec. between the 3/2/1 reps. What a big difference today! Felt more like a cluster set. Is this amount of rest what you would recommend? Thank you![/quote]
This doesn’t sound like a ladder (or wave-ladder) at all. Per CT’s article, you should be doing 1-2-3 reps, not 3-2-1.

Your right, I wrote it wrong but performed it right. Started with 1 rep, then 2, then 3. My fault.

Did SGHP today. I noticed that my first ladder (~88%) of 3rm was the same weight I ended up using for the density portion that followed (80% of 1rm) Does this sound about right?