Rest-Pause Technique

I just finished reading the DC manual and have never incorperated rest-pause into any of my routines. It sounds like it works pretty well for most. My question is: When to pause on chest exercises?

Top lockout position or bottom chest position. i am assuming it would be the top position but not sure. I read a few articles that say rest at top position and some say at the bottom. Maybe it’s a matter of preference.

I just watched a u-tube video also for rest-pause when doin curls and the guy actually put the weight back down on the floor, took a few deep breaths and then picked the weight up again to continue with a few more reps. My understanding is that u actually never put the weight down or back on the rack on any exercise.

U just hold the weight in the most comfortable position to let the lactic acid flush out somewhat and try to pump out a few more reps then repeat. Any articles or videos out there that show when to pause? I did try this technique today with flat bench and things did not workout so well.

I did a few warmup sets before I tried the rest-pause. I then loaded the bar up for 8 reps to complete failure…rested at top position and took 10 deep breaths… I then tried to continue with the set and do a few more…I got 1 more rep thats it.

Maybe I need to rest longer or find another way. Like i said, this rest-pause technique is all new to me. I’m just not sure when the rest-pause should take place. Thanx

You rack the weight during the pauses.

You are correct thank u! just found more info

FINISH ON THE NEGATIVE-rack the weight and start breathing as deeply as you can to get as much oxygen in for 12 to 15 deep breaths (during this time you might or your training partner might be getting whatever exercise your doing ready for you again–like both of you bringing the bar back to the top again etc) I say 15 deep breaths but I want that whole time period to last maybe 20 seconds tops so depending on your breathing 12 to 15 deep breaths.

You went to failure with 185, you racked on the negative, took 15 deep breaths, and now you take the 185 again and go to complete failure again (lets say hypothetically failure was 4 reps) DO THE NEGATIVE PORTION 8 SECONDS DOWN AND RACK IT–15 more deep breaths, then 185 again to total failure FINISH ON THE NEGATIVE AND RACK IT.

Depending on your recovery ability, the exercise and if your an advanced trainer or not instead of racking it at the very end you can “try” (and I say try) to hold the weight in a static hold for 20 seconds just before racking it(good luck you’ll be shaking like a leaf at that point–I’ve had some words come out of my mouth trying to hold my static that could hit a triple word score on scrabble)

rest-pause works well but get the appropriate rest…too long and you’ve defeated the premise behind the technique, too little and you get what you got, one rep.

the idea is you’ve increased total volume and total poundage, e.g. squeezing out 5 more good reps repeatedly translates well towards the goal of hypertrophy and gains in strength/size.

e.g. x extra reps at y lbs = total lbs over the course of a workout, you quantify that over months of training and you’ll see growth provided all your other shit is in check.

inquire but i believe the time for a proper rest pause is 15-20 seconds; remember it’s not an exact science but waiting 5 seconds is dumb and waiting 60 seconds is dumb as well.

[quote]AzCats wrote:
I just finished reading the DC manual and have never incorperated rest-pause into any of my routines. It sounds like it works pretty well for most. My question is: When to pause on chest exercises?

Top lockout position or bottom chest position. i am assuming it would be the top position but not sure. I read a few articles that say rest at top position and some say at the bottom. Maybe it’s a matter of preference.

I just watched a u-tube video also for rest-pause when doin curls and the guy actually put the weight back down on the floor, took a few deep breaths and then picked the weight up again to continue with a few more reps. My understanding is that u actually never put the weight down or back on the rack on any exercise.

U just hold the weight in the most comfortable position to let the lactic acid flush out somewhat and try to pump out a few more reps then repeat. Any articles or videos out there that show when to pause? I did try this technique today with flat bench and things did not workout so well.

I did a few warmup sets before I tried the rest-pause. I then loaded the bar up for 8 reps to complete failure…rested at top position and took 10 deep breaths… I then tried to continue with the set and do a few more…I got 1 more rep thats it.

Maybe I need to rest longer or find another way. Like i said, this rest-pause technique is all new to me. I’m just not sure when the rest-pause should take place. Thanx[/quote]

The confusion stems from the fact that there are multiple definitions out there for the term “rest-pause”.

In the original method (created by Mike Mentzer I believe) you would pick something like a 3 RM weight, do a single with it, rack it and wait something like 10 seconds, and then repeat until you had done somewhere around 6 reps.

There is another method where you rest in the support position (at the top of a bench press for example) for a short period and then try to grind out a few more reps.

There is yet another method where you go to failure, rack the weight, rest 10-20 seconds and then continue.

And finally, there is the DC method, where you go to failure, rack the weight, take 10-15 deep breathes, go to failure again, rack the weight again, take another 10-15 deep breathes, and finally go to failure a third time.

In my experience anyhow, the DC method works by far the best for improving strength.

I don’t know where you are getting your DC info, but if you are serious about doing it right check out Intensemuscle as that’s the official DC training site. The inventor Dante posts there regularly. Do not use the blogspot info as a lot of it is out of date or incorrect.

There is also a thread on this board titled “Trying DoggCrapp Training” where a number of people who train DC style go to talk about training. If you have specific questions about the program (and for whatever reason don’t want to go to IM) post them there.

very well^ i always took 15 breaths. this is one hectic program lol, i’d like to know if you get some good gains out of it.

best of luck :wink:

I was gonna chime in on Mentzer’s theory, but Sento beat me to it. I just watched Mark Dugdale’s video with Yates the other day, and he did them in a similar fashion. Pick a weight you can get no more than 5 or 6 with, rest 10 secs and try for 1 or 2 more, rest 10 secs, try for 1 more. That’s one set -lol

S

rest-pause is a DC training principle. Eww. Not a fan of DC. When I train chest and I’m working down in the freak section of the DB rack, I basically throw them up for 6-8, pause for a breath, try to get some more (no specified number), pause again, try to get more reps and then re-rack.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
rest-pause is a DC training principle. Eww. Not a fan of DC. When I train chest and I’m working down in the freak section of the DB rack, I basically throw them up for 6-8, pause for a breath, try to get some more (no specified number), pause again, try to get more reps and then re-rack. [/quote]

That’s more akin to “breathing squats” style, not really rest-pause. It seems to work really well with quads and backthickness exercises (like Kroc Rows).

Why the ill feelings towards DC?

Well I really haven’t given it a go, but I think it isn’t enough work. Sure I’m using weights maximizing each set but I’m a medium-high volume heavy weight kinda of guy.

Why is DC so good? It takes advantage of your ATP energy system. Cause it takes about 10-12 secs (so the 15 breaths might be a little longer but still it’s a short break) to lets say “recharge” you’re energy reserves to the fullest.

There are studies confirming this. So I honestly think if some people do not take advantage of this they could be cutting some gains they can make in strength/size. Cause we all know blasting through prs and progressing in whatever manner possible is what gets you from point A to point B in muscle/strength development.

The thing about it is not to over use it and fry your CNS and burn yourself out. My stupid ass was doing heavy rp sets, not sleeping well and probably not eating enough and I GOT BURIED fast.

Growing boy just try let’s say a 15+ rp set with a heavy weight on an incline machine like 7 reps, rest 15 deep breaths, then hammer 5, rest pause again, then do 3 so then that’s 15 rp. Then grab some dumbbells and do one striaght sets of 15-20 reps going all out after you rest a little bit.

I bet your chest will be hit hard especially if you’re doing thins like cgbp for tris and so forth.

[quote]Carlitosway wrote:
Why is DC so good? It takes advantage of your ATP energy system. Cause it takes about 10-12 secs (so the 15 breaths might be a little longer but still it’s a short break) to lets say “recharge” you’re energy reserves to the fullest.

There are studies confirming this. So I honestly think if some people do not take advantage of this they could be cutting some gains they can make in strength/size. Cause we all know blasting through prs and progressing in whatever manner possible is what gets you from point A to point B in muscle/strength development.

The thing about it is not to over use it and fry your CNS and burn yourself out. My stupid ass was doing heavy rp sets, not sleeping well and probably not eating enough and I GOT BURIED fast.

Growing boy just try let’s say a 15+ rp set with a heavy weight on an incline machine like 7 reps, rest 15 deep breaths, then hammer 5, rest pause again, then do 3 so then that’s 15 rp. Then grab some dumbbells and do one striaght sets of 15-20 reps going all out after you rest a little bit.

I bet your chest will be hit hard especially if you’re doing thins like cgbp for tris and so forth.[/quote]

Okay Carlito, Ill give another go ahead. That principle can be applied to lets say, to rows for back? Its good to switch things up a bit.

[quote]Growing_Boy wrote:
Carlitosway wrote:

I bet your chest will be hit hard especially if you’re doing thins like cgbp for tris and so forth.

Okay Carlito, Ill give another go ahead. That principle can be applied to lets say, to rows for back? Its good to switch things up a bit. [/quote]

I wouldn’t reccomend doing more then one rest pause set like i mentioned for the chest with barbell squats, rows or deadlifts (except for rack deadlifts). Yet what you can do lets just say for instance you just finished doing your worksets on those rows. So right after the last set last rep, rest up 10-12 seconds or 15 deep breaths and then pick up that weight and get a couple more strong reps, real simple. So imagine adding an extra 1-3 reps accumulated over the year on exercies (especially complex work), just by doing this. That’s alot more poundage over a longer period then lets say stopping on a last striaght set on your last rep.

So that will just be one rest pause after the last striaght set, not 2 cause you will fry your cns quick on rows (something I wouldn’t risk). You have to look at the risk/reward factor. I think going all out on back work with alot of rest pause sets could create more of a risk versus reward if if you know what I mean.

Just gauge what works for you, you can just start incorporating it on big lagging parts first. I suggest you head over to www.intensemuscle.com so much valuable info over there!

Honestly I think alot of people do rest-pausing without even realizing what they’re doing. I’m just trying to provide some insight on to why it’s effective and what really is going on:D. You’re probably alot bigger compared to me and have been training longer then me! I’m not trying to be a guru and think I know it all by no means. I only listen/talk to big guys and what they’re doing cause I know that info will get me there the fastest and I love sharing the wealth of info:D.

Are you referring to the PITT system method of training used by many European lifters by any chance?

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Growing_Boy wrote:
rest-pause is a DC training principle. Eww. Not a fan of DC. When I train chest and I’m working down in the freak section of the DB rack, I basically throw them up for 6-8, pause for a breath, try to get some more (no specified number), pause again, try to get more reps and then re-rack.

That’s more akin to “breathing squats” style, not really rest-pause. It seems to work really well with quads and backthickness exercises (like Kroc Rows).

Why the ill feelings towards DC?[/quote]

Naw, mate I just do it according to how my body feels.

[quote]tribunaldude wrote:
Are you referring to the PITT system method of training used by many European lifters by any chance?
[/quote]

PITT is used by many here?
I don’t even check out any of the European forums anymore, I just remember that system being mentioned here and there on some German BB boards.

What did the OP mean you do the negative for 8 seconds and rack in? First of all since when does DC say to have an 8 second negative for chest and secondly how do you rack it if the last thing you do is a negative?

[quote]pumped340 wrote:
What did the OP mean you do the negative for 8 seconds and rack in? First of all since when does DC say to have an 8 second negative for chest and secondly how do you rack it if the last thing you do is a negative?[/quote]

This was all covered in CFP…

Is there a specific level of training rest-pause is best used at? Or could a bitch like myself use it with good results?

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:
Is there a specific level of training rest-pause is best used at? Or could a bitch like myself use it with good results?[/quote]

you can start using it right away, just ease into and you’ll get the hang of it soon. Every person has an atp energy system, so take advantage of it when you can.