Rest Pause on Kroc Rows?

I remember reading one article on this site that compared Kroc rows and pendlay rows and it said that strapping up could cause biceps tears. I don remember who wrote it.

Once again, it sounds like that author wasn’t terribly significant, no?

Damn, that’s right, here’s where I read it:

Under the “Safety” paragraph:
As far as time under tension is concerned, I worry about Kroc rows more than other variations because there’s tremendous tension flowing through the biceps and elbow joint. Using straps to increase weight can exacerbate this problem. I view grip strength as a bit of a failsafe – if you can hold it in your hands, then the rest of your arms can probably support it as well. But when you’re suddenly rowing a weight for 15 reps that you normally couldn’t hold for more than five, the risk of popping your biceps becomes very real. Though straps do have their place in training, I feel that they’re more for giving the grip a break, not loading extra weight onto the bar. If you artificially reinforce a weak link, something new will become the weak link
 and weak links break.

Not that I’m anywhere close to worry about straps vs no straps lol

In reality this isnt going to happen in most cases.If it did 
some one must have one hell of a weak grip.

Also would like to add
 speaking for myself, I dont feel much stress on my biceps when i do rows of any sort. Partially because I focus on moving the weight with my upper back and disengage by bicep in the movement.

2 Likes

Prior to today, I have never heard of Dan Blewett. Any reason you take his opinion on the matter so seriously compared to someone like Jim Wendler or Kroc?

1 Like

Just to play devil’s advocate, Jesse Norris has made a similar claim. Not that I agree with him.

It just shocks me that guys like Kaz
or even Franco Columbu was even able to develop their backs before Kroc rows
it blows ones mind.:open_mouth:

1 Like

Never said I take his opinion on the matter seriously, it started with oldbean saying:

And I simply replied:

Reporting what I’ve read.
But as I said, I have no need or plans for straps right now, chalk is more than enough for the heaviest dumbbels I have in the gym anyway :slight_smile:

For what it’s worth, I also don’t agree that Pendlays are “easy” on low back like reported in that article. If you’re using the load you should use on Pendlays, there’s no way they’re easy on the low back. I’ve done them for a while and as I overloaded I found out that keeping proper posture and neutral spine required as much energy as the actual rowing movement, felt very heavy on low back even if just for a very short amount of time during the reps.

That would at least be someone noteworthy making it. I would be curious about his evidence. Every blown bicep I have seen was unstrapped, and I can’t even think of the last time I have seen someone blow out a bicep on a row.

2 Likes

I usually do them after dips on my second bench day, so third exercise in. I like doing some kind of row after pressing work.

1 Like

I suppose if we are all in agreement that it is a silly argument I simply don’t understand why it was brought up.

I mean; there are a LOT of silly arguments about lifting out there. That’s why I stick with folks that have managed to succeed.

4 Likes

Dan blewetts probably never heard of you either but that doesn’t mean you’re not knowledgeable about training

No, but I would certainly hope no one takes my word on something simply because I wrote an article. They could verify it against my competition history. Or theu could use critical thinking and listen to someone far more successful than me on the matter.

I am no guru. No one should take my advice.

4 Likes

No one said Blewett isnt knowledgeable, just that we would not take his word over Wendler or Kroc himself really. I’m sorry, but you can every degree you want. I’m not going to believe you unless you been in the trenches.

I wouldn’t necessarily take his word over wendler and Kroc but l just wanted to throw out that someone thought it was bad to strap up.

I’m sure there are lots of people that believe it’s bad to strap up, but there are also lots of people that think the earth is 6000 years old, that squats blow out knees, and that the sun provides all the vital nutrients that we need.

It’s why I keep haranguing on the topic of the validity of the source. It’s very easy to get led astray in lifting by listening to EVERY argument; it’s far easier to simply listen to the arguments from accomplished folks.

4 Likes

Not that what you said earlier was aimed at me but I felt what was addressed earlier could be applied to me so responded to it.

Whatever works for us I guess.

well it’s not so shut up about it jesus christ

Forgive me if I sound dumb but isn’t that Wendler’s approach? Haha or am I just pointing out the obvious?

Definitely agree, oldbean brought it up but I guess that he had to debate about it in the past.
With this being “my” topic, it’s really a pointless argument - I don’t use them and don’t need them anyway :smiley: