Rest Pause on Core Lifts Now?

Now that your new article is out on how natural lifters should lift I have a few questions.

1. Are you saying that your older article on program design working the main left in the 3 to 5 rep range and then working the weak links in the 6 to 8 rep range and then isolating the muscles involved in the lift is not good way to train now?

2. I thought that rest pausing the core lifts was too much on the central nervous system and also didn’t fatigue any particular muscle just the movement instead since it is a combination of muscles involved in the lift?

Would be interested in this answer.

Thanks

No. I stand by every one of my older articles. Each article was written about a method or a way of training I used myself and with clients and I know it worked so saying that it “is not a good way to train now” is dumb.

But it is also dumb to stop to learn and try to improve. Did my views change about what is optimal for average folks? YES! And you know what? It might change again as I’m still on a quest for knowledge and improvement.

That’s the thing… I’ve been writing articles for close to 20 years and I was about 20 at the time. Do you know anybody who doesn’t change his views in that time frame? Take a guy like Lyle McDonald for example who spent a lot of time writing on the superiority of low-carbs dieting, writing several books on the topic and then writing years later that it’s not the optimal way to diet. Or Wendler coming up with 5/3/1 and criticising the dynamic effort method after years of training Westside.

I would see it as a problem if my older stuff was the same as the newer one, not the other way around.

Anyway I always hated to post programs. I prefer to post about ideas and concept to help people forge their own way. I give programs to illustrate these concepts.

1 Like

Regarding CNS fatigue… there is a difference when using 3-4 work sets per main exercise and only doing 1. Obviously intensification concepts apply differently when using an approach based on single vs. multiple sets per movement.

Now feel free to review every single one of the articles I wrote these past 17 years to point out every single difference but my answer will always be the same: I’m always learning and things will change as I’m learning new stuff, deal with it.

Thanks for the response