Rest-Pause for Older Guys

Anyone doing this?

I miss sparring terribly, esp at tournaments. My season is next Spring and I want to get back in the game against the youngsters. I’ll certainly be slower than the youngsters but the idea is to hit/kick so hard that their grandparents feel it. So, how does RP sound to you guys?

Just about any method that makes you stronger will do just that: make you stronger. It won’t necessarily make you a better fighter.

I regard singles and triples backed by high rep feeder exercises as the best and fastest way to build strength while maintaining joint integrity as there is a strong neural training component in them.

Rest-pause seems a scheme devoted to gaining size and you happen to get stronger thereby.

Neither routine improve your application of whatever strength you develop. Sounds like technique training and strategy will be what helps you win as you first have to hit your opponent.

F=MA. Strength doesn’t necessarily mean hitting harder. Not real sure what rest pause is but I would use whatever contributes to the delivery speed of the punch. Hips, delt, etc. Fast, explosive lifting. I’ve seen some truly strong guys who can’t even make a heavy bag move their punchs are so slow.

Been doing TKD since before most of the folk on T-Nation were born. No prob with the sport.

Rest-Pause means that you do all out singles with 10 to 15 seconds of rest between reps. The idea is to use max weights as often as possible. Do 10 all out singles seperated by 15 seconds each rep and you’ll see how intense the sets are. It is WAY more intense than 5 X 5 or similar schemes.

So, being of limited recovery ability, I am doing MWF Bench, and TRS Deadlift.

Anyone ever done similar? Maybe I’m in the wrong forum?

Sounds intense. I’d try it for a month and see how it goes.

I’ve found that what works really differs by individuals. For example, a 2-4 cadence on lifts, I’ve done that – several times – when I was younger. I stalled at less than half the weight I lift now when I used that cadence. With a 1-4 seconds (i.e. one count up, four seconds full count going down, not just a four count) I improve. I’m not sure how much, since I still seem to have room to improve.

One thing a lot of people find helps them with speed at age is sprints. I now run up the stairs at work three times a day (its only from the first to the fourth floor).

If I get serious, I’ll start doing sprints at the track a block from the house every morning.

I need to start with the stretching again too. Sigh.

Did Shotokan for years, until it broke for me after Robin’s death. Then I moved to Dallas, actually closer the clubs we were associated with in Wichita Falls, and never got going again.

But the eight year old wants to start TKD, as does the wife.

Seems squats might help with TKD more. I know Bob Barrow did nautilus, I’m not sure what Chuck Norris did. But the two of them when they were on a team together could kick like mac trucks.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Been doing TKD since before most of the folk on T-Nation were born. No prob with the sport.

Rest-Pause means that you do all out singles with 10 to 15 seconds of rest between reps. The idea is to use max weights as often as possible. Do 10 all out singles seperated by 15 seconds each rep and you’ll see how intense the sets are. It is WAY more intense than 5 X 5 or similar schemes.

So, being of limited recovery ability, I am doing MWF Bench, and TRS Deadlift.

Anyone ever done similar? Maybe I’m in the wrong forum?[/quote]

I have done that and it’s a good way to burn out if not managed carefully. But it sounds like you have a handle on that, since you’re keeping it to two lifts. Beta-Alanine is supposed to help support the CNS (if I read the article right) and aid recovery - so you may wish to increase or include that supplement while doing this program, if you’re not already using it.

RP will work for a while as regards gaining strength but it’s if you can integrate the increased strength into your sport that will decide it’s effectiveness in that area. If I’ve understood your RP routine set-up correctly(bench m-w-f with deads t-th-sa?) then I would be seriously concerned about cns burnout. I also suggest you try the 10singles/15s rest with a weight less than your 1RM as it’s unlikely you will complete 10x1RM/15s rest!

Does RP imply that you only do singles?

I’ve done sets where I’ll go, say, 8 reps max out, wait 10s, do as many more as I can, say 3, then repeat one more time, usually for 1 or 2, so the set looks like: 8-3-1 or similar.

What about rest-pause, which in your case seems to mean near-max weight lifted for several singles (correct me though).

Maybe using the “quick lifts” will work better? Snatches, cleans and jerks?

Build explosive strength, not just “slow” strength. (I hope I don’t get any heat for that “slow” comment)

[quote]derek wrote:
What about rest-pause, which in your case seems to mean near-max weight lifted for several singles (correct me though).

Maybe using the “quick lifts” will work better? Snatches, cleans and jerks?

Build explosive strength, not just “slow” strength. (I hope I don’t get any heat for that “slow” comment) [/quote]

Agreed. Speed work may be better.