T Nation

Rest for Strength Training

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but what is the ideal duration for rest for strength training? I started with a 2 day workout 1 day rest routine, but I'm starting to show symptoms of overtraining. However, I still want to keep the tempo up.

So, is the classic mon wed fri ideal for strength training as well, or only for body building?

You can definetly do a MWF split for strengh training as long as you change some variables up on each day. So for example if you did a 5x5 workout Monday you should switch it up to something different like a bunch of singles or hypertrophy training.

Depending on your level of experience and strengh sort of dictates how much rest you need in my opinion. The guys at Westside Barbell keep 72 between sessions that train the same lift but they are on a completely different level than me. As long as you dont do the same workout three days a week then a MWF should be fine.

Thanks for your advice...but when you say the same workout, you actually mean I shouldnt work the same bodypart 3 times a week right?

I meant the same parameters for the same muscle group. You wouldnt want to do 3x10 for example for a squat movement three times a week and expect much progress. You would try to have like an 8x3, 5x5, 3x8 type of scenario with varying loads and set/rep schemes to be able to hit the same muscle groups multiple times a week. Check out some of Waterburys more strength geared articles for a better idea of what I am getting at. In particular the Strength Focused Mesocylce.

First of all everything has been "brought up before" so don't worry about it. It's actually a very good question.

Everyone's system is different. You'll have to experiement in order to find what works for you. It could be that you are feeling overtrained, not because of the actual workouts but because you have other stress in your life, not sleeping properly, not eating properly, (protein consumption is down), etc. Any of that sound familiar?

As far as routines, one of the best that I have ever seen was created by the late Bob Hoffman, founder of York Barbell and Olympic team weight lifting coach when the USA actually used to win Gold medals!

It's called "Heavy, medium, light. And as you might have guessed already you train three days per week-full body! One day is heavy, one medium one light.

Plenty of guys added plenty of muscle on this system and they did it without using drugs!

If you give it a try let me know how it works for you after 6 to 8 weeks.

Zeb