Rest Between Reps...

…I’ll be 60 next month and have been weightlifting for about 5 years. My question is how much time does it take to fully recharge between reps? For example I can do 8 reps of 225. How long, considering my age, should it take me so that I can do a full 8 reps again?

I think what you’re asking about is rest between sets, not between reps, right?

Depends on your program, rather than your age. If you’re working with a weight close to your one-rep max for fewer reps, you probably need a couple of minutes. If, as I gather from the example given, your using maybe around 60% going for higher reps, then 60-90 seconds may be enough. Or, to make it simple, when you feel good to go for another set, go. Age is more likely to have an impact on the amount of rest and recovery you need between workouts. But again, it will be individual and subject to your goals and program.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
I think what you’re asking about is rest between sets, not between reps, right?[/quote]
Yes, my bad, between sets.

[quote]Jasonthorpe wrote:
Depends on your program, rather than your age. If you’re working with a weight close to your one-rep max for fewer reps, you probably need a couple of minutes. If, as I gather from the example given, your using maybe around 60% going for higher reps, then 60-90 seconds may be enough. Or, to make it simple, when you feel good to go for another set, go. Age is more likely to have an impact on the amount of rest and recovery you need between workouts. But again, it will be individual and subject to your goals and program.[/quote]

I can do 8 reps of 225, my recent max lift was 285. If I did the the 8 reps of 225 I would never be able to do anywhere close to the 8 reps again after just 90 seconds. In fact if I wait a half hour I still can’t do another 8 reps. Am I missing something from my diet and or supplements?

If it takes an absolute max effort for you to get 8 reps at 225, I would not expect you to be able to do that more than once during any given workout. In fact, if you could do two (or more) sets of 8 @ 225#, it would suggest to me that 8 is NOT your absolute max at that weight. This is true for lifters of any age.

[quote]EyeDentist wrote:
If it takes an absolute max effort for you to get 8 reps at 225, I would not expect you to be able to do that more than once during any given workout. In fact, if you could do two (or more) sets of 8 @ 225#, it would suggest to me that 8 is NOT your absolute max at that weight. This is true for lifters of any age. [/quote]
Yes, 8 is my max reps for 225. So how much rest do you think it should take to do 8 again? 24 hours? More or less?

Hard to say. I’m not a fan of working the same muscle group two days in a row, so I wouldn’t even attempt it the next day.

3-5 minutes between sets seems to work for me…