Respecting the Democratic Process

Having followed the US election campaigns for a good 18 months now, I’m looking forward to Tuesday. With only two days left, I’d like to use the opportunity to say that I find both main candidates in principle electable, decent people. A lot of mud has been slung - and now I think it’s time to show the necessary respect for this impressive democratic process that is to unravel.

Therefore, I’d like to invite everyone here who has so far shown support for one side (and I mean any side) to show respect for the opposite candidate and state something constructive about them. It doesn’t need to be an endorsement, but a sign of respect or acceptance for the opponent would be a nice display of the democratic spirit.

Here’s my contribution: While I’d prefer to see Obama in the White House, I think that McCain is a decent man who could be a good president (and who would hopefully never have to hand over to his VP). I agree with the Guardian, who surprisingly have published quite an endorsement for him, and I think it’s time to show respect for the political adversary.

The moment for McCain
He might not have had a great campaign, but still the Republican is the best man to unite America

To me this article means that with McCain as president there could bring a true conciliatory shift in US American political culture - a spirit of co-operation on both sides across party-lines which I would expect less likely with an Obama administration.

That said, I’m looking forward to Tuesday, and I wish everyone will go about taking part in this greatest of political achievements - free democratic elections - with dignity and pride.

[Insert whatever deity or principle you believe in] bless America!

Makkun

Obama has a nice smile and a good haircut.

McCain would make a good Herman Munster if there we ever a remake of that show.

Hmmm, nice things to say? Can I think it over for the next couple of days?

I find them both objectionable. The system is flawed. We should all get a say in the primary. The candidate each party purts forth for the general election should be decided by popular vote. We shouldn’t be stuck with what the parties hand us.

Obama looks damn good in a suit. He’s likable and seems to mean well.

There. Said it.

In keeping with the bipartisan spirit of this thread, here’s one of the most balanced views of the lending bubble/crises put into historical context.

It’s really worth watching.

He’s a good speaker and fairly humorous too…

Haha, great thread idea makkun.

Sometimes McCain seems so pleased to be where he is, I can’t help but feel pleased for him. Even watching the Arnold video posted here in PWI, where McCain looks so small and old and…and…pale, still, there’s something about him that seems so touchingly happy.

I agree, Lifticus, Obama has a great smile. Really good teeth. I’m not sure about McCain as Herman Munster, though. Igor seems a better match.

Fuck them both. We deserve better.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:

There. Said it.

In keeping with the bipartisan spirit of this thread, here’s one of the most balanced views of the lending bubble/crises put into historical context.

http://vimeo.com/2089382[/quote]

Note to self: cute furry animals == balanced and fair.

[quote]katzenjammer wrote:

There. Said it.

http://vimeo.com/2089382[/quote]

Thanks, Katzenjammer, I enjoyed the video.

Makkun

[quote]Sloth wrote:
Hmmm, nice things to say? Can I think it over for the next couple of days?[/quote]

It’s more fun if you don’t sit it out until after the election. :wink:

Makkun

[quote]makkun wrote:
Sloth wrote:
Hmmm, nice things to say? Can I think it over for the next couple of days?

It’s more fun if you don’t sit it out until after the election. :wink:

Makkun[/quote]

Well, I’m sitting out the election, too. However, I’ve been brainstorming on some nice things to say. Nothing yet, I’m afraid. But, I’ll keep you updated.

[quote]Sloth wrote:

Well, I’m sitting out the election, too. However, I’ve been brainstorming on some nice things to say. Nothing yet, I’m afraid. But, I’ll keep you updated.[/quote]

Do you mean you are not going cast your vote? I would find that very sad. I always had the view that when not taking part in elections bans you from complaining about the results - and that’s what PWI is for. Surely, even if you can’t support any of the main candidates, there must be someone least detested you can vote for.

I would extend that to Zap and JSBrook, who seem disenfranchised with the process. It’ll only change when people are engaged in it. And so many of you have here have been so vocal that I would find it sad if you didn’t make use of one of your most important rights.

Makkun

[quote]makkun wrote:
Sloth wrote:

Well, I’m sitting out the election, too. However, I’ve been brainstorming on some nice things to say. Nothing yet, I’m afraid. But, I’ll keep you updated.

Do you mean you are not going cast your vote? I would find that very sad. I always had the view that when not taking part in elections bans you from complaining about the results - and that’s what PWI is for. Surely, even if you can’t support any of the main candidates, there must be someone least detested you can vote for.

I would extend that to Zap and JSBrook, who seem disenfranchised with the process. It’ll only change when people are engaged in it. And so many of you have here have been so vocal that I would find it sad if you didn’t make use of one of your most important rights.

Makkun[/quote]

I am going to vote. I just don’t want to talk about my decision on here and get into a pissing match about who I should go for because they are ‘least’ bad. I’ve voiced my great displeasure with both of these candidates. Debated the issues thoroughly. I don’t want to get into what I’m ultimately going to do based on that.

[quote]makkun wrote:

Do you mean you are not going cast your vote? I would find that very sad.[/quote] Don’t feel sad for me, it’s not as if I lost a relative recently or something. I’m just exercising my right not to vote. [quote]I always had the view that when not taking part in elections bans you from complaining about the results - and that’s what PWI is for.[/quote]Why? Voting or not, I still retain the same faculties that allow me to form opinions about political issues. [quote]Surely, even if you can’t support any of the main candidates, there must be someone least detested you can vote for. [/quote]

There’s Baldwin or Barr, but I’m just not excited about them or their parties.