Respectable Numbers for a Novice?

I am new the Olympic lifting (just started in earnest on 3/25 with a coach 2/week).
At this point I am not chasing numbers and am content to learn the lifts properly, but I am curious as to what kind of numbers would be respectable for a 105 class novice (I’m thinking 75/80 and 100/105)? I know this is subjective, but I am looking to set a goal to strive for and this is where I’ve settled. I am curious to read what others think.

I’m 39 years old; 6’3" 237 ( I can get to 105/231 with a little discipline).
I’ve been lifting on and off since I was 14/15 and have been lifting consistently the last 4/5 years.
I’ve managed to get a 355 back squat; 255 bench; overhead press 165x3; and just last week pulled 195(429) in the deadlift.

So far in O-training, I’ve worked up to a 57.5 snatch and an 82.5 clean and jerk; also got 110(242)x2 on my front squat at the end of a workout.

Here’s the link to my new log: Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

Thanks!

~1 x BW Snatch
~1.5 x BW CJ

Are really respectable numbers for a novice.

[quote]Invictica wrote:
~1 x BW Snatch
~1.5 x BW CJ

Are really respectable numbers for a novice.[/quote]

i would agree with the snatch being very respectable, but 1.5 time his body-weight is far superior to “novice”

if he weighs 105kg then you would consider a clean and jerk of 157.5 good for a “novice” their are not to many “novice” lifters in the 105 lifting almost 160.

[quote]tork94 wrote:

[quote]Invictica wrote:
~1 x BW Snatch
~1.5 x BW CJ

Are really respectable numbers for a novice.[/quote]

i would agree with the snatch being very respectable, but 1.5 time his body-weight is far superior to “novice”

if he weighs 105kg then you would consider a clean and jerk of 157.5 good for a “novice” their are not to many “novice” lifters in the 105 lifting almost 160.

[/quote]

Right, I think 1.25 is what I meant…

A novice lifter would be

1x bw C&J imo.

1x Snatch is when your a ‘weightlifter’ imo.

1.5x C&J is well in excess of a Novice man!

The % is about you should be able to snatch about 80% of your C&J so that would make your C&J 25% better

I’d say for a novice

Novice
1x Snatch
1.25x C&J

Intermediate:
1.25x Snatch
1.56x C&J

National level
1.5x Snatch
1.87x C&J

Elite : smaller guys get a better % and the top 3-5 in the class can Snatch 2x bw!
1.8x Snatch
2.2x C&J

I think about 3 people in the history have C&J 3x bw!!!

Koing

As a 105er be careful listening to xBW numbers too much, most people in the sport are smaller than you and therefore the xBW numbers come out a little high for somebody in your weight class. For example:

[quote]Koing wrote:
and the top 3-5 in the class can Snatch 2x bw!
[/quote]

Nobody at 105 has hit a 2xBW snatch in competition.

Just something to keep in mind.

[quote]TheJonty wrote:
As a 105er be careful listening to xBW numbers too much, most people in the sport are smaller than you and therefore the xBW numbers come out a little high for somebody in your weight class. For example:

[quote]Koing wrote:
[/quote]

Just something to keep in mind.[/quote]

Thats a given that very few 105 guys will Snatch 2x bw. The 94’s can do it but still it isn’t that often and literally the top 3-5 on a good comp that will manage it. We have very few monster lifters kicking about now a days! The odd one or two but not like yester year.

The 2009 and 2010 Euro’s have been comparatively weak imo. I haven’t seen the 85-105+ guys in the 2010 yet though, but the smaller guys haven’t been as experienced.

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:
[/quote]

Thats a given that very few 105 guys will Snatch 2x bw. The 94’s can do it but still it isn’t that often and literally the top 3-5 on a good comp that will manage it. We have very few monster lifters kicking about now a days! The odd one or two but not like yester year.

The 2009 and 2010 Euro’s have been comparatively weak imo. I haven’t seen the 85-105+ guys in the 2010 yet though, but the smaller guys haven’t been as experienced.

Koing
[/quote]

First 2 years of a quad tend to be weak at Europeans and worlds since no one is anywhere near close to peaking at the moment. 2011 will be a lot more interesting, as will 2012!

[quote]Dr. Manhattan wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:

[quote]TheJonty wrote:

[quote]Koing wrote:
[/quote]

Koing
[/quote]

First 2 years of a quad tend to be weak at Europeans and worlds since no one is anywhere near close to peaking at the moment. 2011 will be a lot more interesting, as will 2012![/quote]

Indeed mate!

The Worlds are always more interesting :smiley:

Koing