Resitance Bands Cause Injury

some interesting points
what do you guys think?
i personally disagree as the punching movement is not fast enough to elicit a true deceleration response similar to one that would occur in boxing.
i wonder what he advocates - holding a dumbell and punching

yeah i agree with the disagreeing…like with everything else you’ve got to train to be balanced…

about the dumbbell idea…i’ve heard that is sorta dangerous b/c when you have to decelerate that extra weight it over stresses the shoulder or something like that…from what i’ve medicine ball wall throws are good for developing that kind of punching power…

besides most punching power comes from the hips not the arm anyway

On second thought, I’ll just ignore this.

I’ve heard of that guy before but I can’t remember where.

I can’t believe he says that with a straight face…

He is a T-Nation author! Who woulda thought?

Look up his articles, his name is John Paul Catanzaro.

[quote]ballsofsteel wrote:

some interesting points
what do you guys think?
i personally disagree as the punching movement is not fast enough to elicit a true deceleration response similar to one that would occur in boxing.
i wonder what he advocates - holding a dumbell and punching[/quote]

Give me a break. With the countless hours spent on bags and sparring, fighters are not going to get imbalances from using bands on some exercises.

[quote]4est wrote:
ballsofsteel wrote:

some interesting points
what do you guys think?
i wonder what he advocates - holding a dumbell and punching

Give me a break. With the countless hours spent on bags and sparring, fighters are not going to get imbalances from using bands on some exercises.[/quote]

That was my thoughts - I think his comments just don’t make sense.
When I do fast bench I find the bands allow me to accelerate through the whole movement, similar to bench throws. Without bands my elbows get beaten up pretty band. I would say bands actually stop injury.

Rubbish! Unbalanced training causes injury.

[quote]4est wrote:
Give me a break. With the countless hours spent on bags and sparring, fighters are not going to get imbalances from using bands on some exercises.[/quote]

My only thoughts on how the bag is different then the bands is that the bag will absorb a lot of the force once you make contact with it, and the last bit of you carrying out the punch is a lot different than when you’re punching into air with the band set up.

Same thing with an opponent (assuming you hit them!). Also, when hitting a bag, your still punching all under your own control, not using some outside device to actively speed up or slow down your mechanics.

But, whether or not it will lead to injury for sure, I don’t know.

Cheers

[quote]ballsofsteel wrote:
That was my thoughts - I think his comments just don’t make sense.
When I do fast bench I find the bands allow me to accelerate through the whole movement, similar to bench throws. Without bands my elbows get beaten up pretty band. I would say bands actually stop injury.
[/quote]

BTW, I think his comments were specifically talking about boxers throwing punches with bands, not general exercises using bands. Could be wrong though.

Theres an article on accomodating resistance over at efs that talks about that. That is exactly the reason you don’t train with bands year round. As long as you take weeks off of band training the problem wont occur. And as long as its not your ONLY training.

That guy is a fraud. Bands are excellent for developing power and speed strength.

I any case his “overshoot’s the mark, and sets you up for injury” is B.S.

Two seconds of thought and one would realize a boxer already has additional weight on the end of his hands. This adds to what the boxer would have to provide negative acceleration for. Now given that – MOST punches miss anyway or are glancing blows. This means the boxer’s bodily is constantly absorbing weighted, missed or “over-shooting” punches – WITHOUT injury. And they have been doing this for decades.

If you get injured when you miss a punch it wasn’t from training with bands.