T Nation

Resistant Starch

I posted some info on this topic in the ‘Gut Health Sort of Log’ thread but I decided to post it here as a separate thread.

I think this stuff is going to be big as the topic is pooping up everywhere on alternate sites.

It was mentioned here a long while ago but faded into the ether…

Here’ a quick vid for those who don’t like reedin…

Resistant Starch

What does the research say?

Preferentially feeds ‘good’ bacteria responsible for butyrate production. It even promotes greater butyrate production than other prebiotics. Since the resident gut flora produce the butyrate, and everyone has different levels of the different flora, the degree of butyrate production varies according to the individual, but resistant starch consistently results in lots of butyrate across nearly every subject who consumes it. Butyrate is crucial because it’s the prime energy source of our colonic cells (almost as if they’re designed for steady exposure to butyrate!), and it may be responsible for most of the other RS-related benefits.

Improves insulin sensitivity. Sure enough, it improves insulin sensitivity, even in people with metabolic syndrome.

Improves the integrity and function of the gut. Resistant starch basically increases colonic hypertrophy, making it more robust and improving its functionality. It also inhibits endotoxin from getting into circulation and reduces leaky gut, which could have positive ramifications on allergies and autoimmune conditions.

Lowers the blood glucose response to food. One reason some people avoid even minimal amounts of carbohydrate is the blood glucose response; theirs is too high. Resistant starch lowers the postprandial blood glucose spike. This reduction may also extend to subsequent meals.

Reduces fasting blood sugar. This is one of the most commonly mentioned benefits of RS, and the research seems to back it up.

Increases satiety. In a recent human study, a large dose of resistant starch increased satiety and decreased subsequent food intake.

May preferentially bind to and expel ‘bad’ bacteria. This is only preliminary, but there’s evidence that resistant starch may actually treat small intestinal bacterial overgrowth by ‘flushing’ the pathogenic bacteria out in the feces. It’s also been found to be an effective treatment for cholera when added to the rehydration formula given to patients; the cholera bacteria attach themselves to the RS granules almost immediately for expulsion.

Enhances magnesium absorption. Probably because it improves gut function and integrity, resistant starch increases dietary magnesium absorption.

What do user anecdotes say?

Improves body composition. I’ve heard reports of lowered body fat and increased lean mass after supplementing with or increasing dietary intake of RS. Seeing as how RS consumption promotes increased fat oxidation after meals, this appears to be possible or even likely.

Improves thyroid function. Many RS supplementers have noted increases in body temperature, a rough indicator of thyroid function.

Improves sleep, conferring the ability to hold and direct (in real time) private viewings of vivid movie-esque dreams throughout the night. I’ve noticed this too and suspect it has something to do with increased GABA (gamma-aminobutyric acid) from the increased butyrate. Another possibility is that resistant starch is feeding serotonin-producing gut bacteria, and the serotonin is being converted to melatonin when darkness falls.

Increases mental calm. Many people report feeling very ‘zen’ after increasing RS intake, with reductions in anxiety and perceived stress. The latest science indicates that our gut flora can impact our brain, and specific probiotics are being explored as anti-anxiety agents, so these reports may very well have some merit.

Where do you get it?

The richest food sources are raw potatoes, green bananas, plantains, cooked-and-cooled potatoes, cooked-and-cooled-rice, parboiled rice, and cooked-and-cooled legumes.

The most reliable way to get lots of RS, fast, is with raw potato starch. There are about 8 grams of RS in a tablespoon of the most popular brand: Bob’s Red Mill Unmodified Potato Starch. It’s also available at Whole Foods.

If you have’nt tired yet here’s another read…

Gut Instincts. Your Second Brain.
http://neurosciencestuff.tumbl

Some thought provoking ideas indeed…

The link does no work.

[quote]xXSeraphimXx wrote:
The link does no work.
[/quote]

If it doesn’t work try googling - Gut Instincts. Your Second Brain. That should work.

By the way, ruminant grazers (cows, sheep, deer) acquire most of their energy from the short chain fatty acids, (primarily butyrate), made from cellulose by microbes. Cellulose, Pectin and Oligosaccarhides tend to be good for healthy bacteria, but psyllium/grain fiber is not. It actually has been shown to rip open and destroy colonocytes.

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
By the way, ruminant grazers (cows, sheep, deer) acquire most of their energy from the short chain fatty acids, (primarily butyrate), made from cellulose by microbes. Cellulose, Pectin and Oligosaccarhides tend to be good for healthy bacteria, but psyllium/grain fiber is not. It actually has been shown to rip open and destroy colonocytes. [/quote]

Can you expand on this? What do you think about resistant starches?

Are you saying that plant sources are better? Would potato starch be bad in the long run? I know that you eat high fat.

Potatoes are a super food source because of the fiber and resistant starch. I get about 150 grams of carbs baseline, up to half from fruit, and the rest from potatoes or rice, but my trend has been toward potatoes. 100 grams of carbs from potatoes is quite a bit, like a pound or more.

While I generally limit carbs and sugar, the #1 thing that would help the average diet would be to replace wheat with potatoes or rice.

so basically the more resistant starch the better the food is?

[quote]mertdawg wrote:
…Cellulose, Pectin and Oligosaccarhides tend to be good for healthy bacteria, but psyllium/grain fiber is not. It actually has been shown to rip open and destroy colonocytes. [/quote]

I have read about grain fibre damaging the gut wall but I have never read about psyllium specifically? Can you direct me to a source or expand on it if you have the time? Thanks!

Psyllium has been bounded around here all the time as a cure all for people with poop issues…so it should be interesting to know an alternative perspective on it.

[quote]alexrus wrote:
so basically the more resistant starch the better the food is?[/quote]

No. Resistant starch from grain fiber can damage colon cells and promote pathogens, both bacterial and fungal. Fructose and Lactose also may be preferred by pathogens. Potato fiber, cellulose and pectin seem to promote good bacteria.

Slainge, I also have been hearing a lot of good things about resistant starches recently.

My questions are how would you take it? Just mix a tablespoon into water and drink? How much would you take per sitting and how much throughout the day? Are we trying to replace a certain amount of our normal daily carb intake with potato starch? Thanks

[quote]as wrote:
Slainge, I also have been hearing a lot of good things about resistant starches recently.

My questions are how would you take it? Just mix a tablespoon into water and drink? How much would you take per sitting and how much throughout the day? Are we trying to replace a certain amount of our normal daily carb intake with potato starch? Thanks[/quote]

You simply add it to your shake, drink whatever. As far as I can gather you simply aim to consume 20g-30g per day or ramp things up more gradually. Start with a teaspoon of your refined RS source, or even half a teaspoon, and get acclimated to that before you increase the dose. BUT you need the gut bacteria that eat the RS to get the benefits of consuming RS as you don’t actually digest it yourself, as there is no caloric benefit to you i.e. its calorie free!

Bob’s Red Mill, Potato Starch Unmodified is the stuff you are looking for

[quote]SLAINGE wrote:

[quote]as wrote:

My questions are how would you take it? Just mix a tablespoon into water and drink? How much would you take per sitting and how much throughout the day? Are we trying to replace a certain amount of our normal daily carb intake with potato starch? Thanks[/quote]

You simply add it to your shake, drink whatever. As far as I can gather you simply aim to consume 20g-30g per day or ramp things up more gradually. Start with a teaspoon of your refined RS source, or even half a teaspoon, and get acclimated to that before you increase the dose. BUT you need the gut bacteria that eat the RS to get the benefits of consuming RS as you don’t actually digest it yourself, as there is no caloric benefit to you i.e. its calorie free!

Bob’s Red Mill, Potato Starch Unmodified is the stuff you are looking for

[/quote]

Ok thanks a lot I’ll give it a shot.

Any updates on this, guys? Have you noticed any improvements in digestive health or any other personal anecdotes you could mention?

Was thinking of picking some up today.

[quote]dharmabum31 wrote:
Any updates on this, guys? Have you noticed any improvements in digestive health or any other personal anecdotes you could mention?

Was thinking of picking some up today.[/quote]

I am using green Plantains at the moment with v.good results. I simply use half a plantain blended with some home made keifer, let it sit there for 10 minutes or more (the probiotics apparently latch onto the RS and hitch a ride straight to the large intestine) then knock it back, simple. I also add glutamine to the mix for added gut healing.

I’ve been trying to source platain flour for ages and just this evening I was speaking with a Cameroonian (is that even a word?) lady and she told me where I could get some locally, so I will be using both.

The ‘Gut Health Sort of Log’ has a lot more info on other supplements if you are interested - see Yogi’s info.

So I read the thread you told me about and - wow! What a great thread. I read every post. I don’t have any obvious intestinal/digestive problems as many on the thread do, but I did drink a lot of alcohol consistently for a very long time and haven’t always had the best diet. I imagine my gut could use some repair.

I went and bought the Bubbie’s sauerkraut (great taste) and the Uncle Bob’s potato starch. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to tell any noticeable differences, but if I do I’ll report back!

Thanks again for the info.

[quote]dharmabum31 wrote:
So I read the thread you told me about and - wow! What a great thread. I read every post. I don’t have any obvious intestinal/digestive problems as many on the thread do, but I did drink a lot of alcohol consistently for a very long time and haven’t always had the best diet. I imagine my gut could use some repair.

I went and bought the Bubbie’s sauerkraut (great taste) and the Uncle Bob’s potato starch. I’m not sure if I’ll be able to tell any noticeable differences, but if I do I’ll report back!

Thanks again for the info.[/quote]

Hey no problem!

That thread is a gold mine of info for people with minor issues and serious gut problems. I myself drank a bit when I was younger and just thinking about it I’d say it did a job on me. I started hoovering back anything I could get my hands on when I was 13-14 then dialed it back when I was 18 or so. In Ireland we start early, crazy when I think about it…

Should be getting the Plantain Flour today so hopefully it isn’t full of shite like the last batch I looked at, E-numbers galore!

Btw I made potato starch, super simple but you would need a tonne of spuds to get a decent amount

Dude you can get a big bag of the Bob’s Red Mill Stuff for like £6.

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Dude you can get a big bag of the Bob’s Red Mill Stuff for like £6.

[/quote]

Aren’t you from Scotland? Whats with the ‘dude’? Lol I’m only takin the pish!

You can’t get it here in Ireland, and if I were to buy it online from Amazon it would cost fuckin 15 sterling for 680g which is over 18 euro’s then add in the p&p, fuck dat!

I can get Bob’s Red Mills testicles over here but I can’t get this stuff???

Anyway the plantains or green bananas sound nutritionally superior than starch extracted from a raw spud. I still wouldn’t mind BRM for the sheer convenience of it but what the hey. I went down to the African shop and they only had the additive filled plantain flour so i will stick with fresh plantains.

I picked up some Bob’s Red Mill Potato Starch last night. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I recommend easing into it slowly. I started with 2 TBSP and had some wicked gas, I’m talking hot, loud and smelly! I dialed back to 1 tsp, increasing by 1 tsp every two weeks until I got to my current intake of 3 TBSP daily. I mix it with 4 oz. of 100% cranberry juice.

I never really had a problem with regularity, but this stuff for sure has turned me into a machine. My 3 year was having some constipation problems, and 1/2 tsp per day has cleared that right up.