Resetting Training Max Question

^ This. In my experience, you can go for many cycles without resetting as long as you are keeping up with your diet, especially as a beginner (I’m a beginner too). As the weights progress, you’re going to need to eat more. I’ve noticed that how well I perform during a given cycle is directly proportional to how much protein I eat & water I drink in the days leading up to each session. I’m on my 7th cycle currently and I’m getting more reps now than I was when I started (started around 6-10 reps, now I’m getting 7-14 even for my 1+, which is on the lower side, but still).

To answer your question directly, reset your training max when you can no longer get more than the prescribed reps. Eventually you’ll be at the point where you need to deadlift 315x5+, and if you only get 5, chances are your body needs a break. Same with any other lift. If your 1+ for bench is 225 and you only get 1, it’s time to reset. 90% of 95% of your true 1rm should is about 85% of your 1rm; if you aren’t able to do more than one rep with 85% of what you THINK is your max, then it isn’t your actually 90% of 95% of your max. I hope that makes sense. Eventually you and I both will get to the point where the weight has progressed and passed our physical adaptations/strength gains, and that’s fine. That’s why we reset. I hope I answered your question

1 Like