Resetting On Pins?

I have a question: I’ve been doing a form of the layers for so long that I can’t remember if you should be resetting the bar on pins between reps during the ramp to your 1,2,or 3RM bench?

I understand that obviously you must do this during the clusters and HDL, but what about the ramp? Should it be “touch and go”, or a full breaking of the stretch reflex?

Thanks,

Crowbar

[quote]crowbar46 wrote:
I have a question: I’ve been doing a form of the layers for so long that I can’t remember if you should be resetting the bar on pins between reps during the ramp to your 1,2,or 3RM bench?

I understand that obviously you must do this during the clusters and HDL, but what about the ramp? Should it be “touch and go”, or a full breaking of the stretch reflex?

Thanks,

Crowbar[/quote]

for what its worth i usually just stop about 0.5-1 second, just long enough so that its not ‘touch and go’ basically… can’t complain with my results, its worked for me!

Yes, reset on every rep. You do not want to use the bounce of the bars to help you get the lift and you do not want to get out of position either. So bring the bar to the pins, reset (re-establish a proper lifting position) then go.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:
Yes, reset on every rep. You do not want to use the bounce of the bars to help you get the lift and you do not want to get out of position either. So bring the bar to the pins, reset (re-establish a proper lifting position) then go.[/quote]

This can be done without a “full reset”, right? What I do is “retighten” after every rep (so I keep tension between reps and correct the starting position quickly), as opposed to quickly relaxing and completely resetting. I relax only when I do clusters and have at least 5 seconds to relax and fully reset.

CT, I have a quick follow up: I do speed bench for my assistance lift on incline tilt bench days. Do you think this enough to keep the muscular coordination and create some carry over to regular full range of motion bench presses? I’m concerned that pressing from pins for so long (~3 months in my case) will negatively affect my regular bench press.

How often do you recommend we switch up pressing style in order to avoid any decrement in performance?

Thanks,

Crowbar