T Nation

Reset - 2013

Training’s got real thin at the end of last year so I’m going to do a reset/remedial base building phase.

The plan, such as it is, is:

Day1 - Lift
Day2 - Mobility
Day3 - Aerobic
Day4 - Mobility

Rinse, repeat. . .

Weights are light, runs are slow but I feel like I need it.

Because of scheduling stuff, Friday is always going to be a mobility day. I’m also trying to take a day off every weekend. Work/life stress is through the roof so I’m just going to hang in there till I get some traction. If I can add 5-10 lbs/min a week, I’ll be on to something by March/April. Just want to get some low level consistency in before the weather turns.

Also started using an HRV monitor last year. Its a cool toy. And it does help to manage training stress. I’ll probably talk about it too much.

HRV = Heart Rate V?

[quote]sen say wrote:
HRV = Heart Rate V?[/quote]

Heart Rate Variability - I think there was an article on this site a couple months ago but its a way to measure stress and recovery (and by extension, readiness to train) by measuring pieces of a heart beat.

I picked a monitor up last year when I was coaching and training for some long races. Helped to manage training loads.

Training this week:

1/21

Front Squat - half hour. Spent a long time just trying to work on form. Cleaned the weight into position so I never went over 165. Don’t know how many reps. Felt better at the end. Just a feel out session.

Deads - 3x5 @255

OHead Press - 3x12 @ 50

Support Row - 3x12 @ 185

1/22

Mobility - Hip/shoulder stuff

[quote]al38 wrote:
Training this week:

1/21

Front Squat - half hour. Spent a long time just trying to work on form. Cleaned the weight into position so I never went over 165. Don’t know how many reps. Felt better at the end. Just a feel out session.
[/quote]

Do you lift at home? Is that why you have to clean the weight?

Nope - I went into the gym wanting to work on form so I wanted to keep the weight down. Cleaning the weight was just a way from going to heavy. Plus I wasn’t sure I was going to want to DL after the squats. . .

Cleaning’s better if you can do it. I find it harder to get my hand spacing right for front squats when I take the bar out the rack, but when I clean it they seem to automatically end up in the right place.

[quote]FarmerBrett wrote:
Cleaning’s better if you can do it. I find it harder to get my hand spacing right for front squats when I take the bar out the rack, but when I clean it they seem to automatically end up in the right place.[/quote]

You know - that’s a good tip. Even though I spent some time jumping up and down to set my foot spacing, I don’t think I would have picked the grip thing up on my own. Thanks for that.

From last week - thought I posted already . . .

1/23 -

75 minute exercise bake (it was 4 degrees out plus windchill).

1/24 -

mobility ~ 30 minutes

1/25

mobility ~ 45 minutes

1/27 -

Front Squat - 135, 165, 185 5x3

Deads - 5x5 @ 255

OHead Press - 3x12 @ 55

Supported row

1/28- mobility stuff

1/29 - 45 min bike HR @ 140

1/30 -

Front Squats - 8x3 @ 185

Deads - 8x3 @ 255

OHead Press - 3x12 @60

1/31

2x20 min grinders on bike

Been losing a lot of training updates before I post but I’m just putting in the base work now. Feels like I’ve almost knocked the rust off but I’m stuck on a couple of lifts till my joints catch up.

Yesterdays workout:

Front Squat: quick run up to 3x3 @235

Deads: 8x3@335 double overhand

OHead DB Press 3x12@50

Chest Supported Row - 3x12 @ 135