T Nation

Reserve Police Officers..?

Hey, so a buddy of mine told me that he's a reserve police officer... I think that sounds like a decent way to serve the community - have any of you guys had any experience with that? What should an interested person keep in mind?

I don't know about Cali, but here in Florida you first have to go through the Basic Law Enforcement Academy. After passing your state exam you can become a police officer.

Most agencies wont even look at you if you do not have police standards.

You are right, it is a great way to serve the community. I was a reserve officer for six months before I became full time. For the past 3 years I have seen and done things that I never could have imagined occurred in a Town like mine.

A few things to remember if you do this... Some of your friends will begin to shy away because you are a cop. People will look at you differently in public especially if you live in a small town. NEVER!!NEVER!! take any situation for granted. It could be that time that gets you killed. Trust me, I was almost there once.

But I am proud to see that you really want to help others so GOOD LUCK!!! let me know how it goes.

All the benefits of a badge without having to work holidays and weekends.

Right on, sounds like you guys have had good experiences with it - I think I'm gonna go down and talk to the local dept. about it.

...and by what do you mean, "Police standars"?

In Florida it means almost the same as a Nusring License. We have attend so many hours of training to maintain our standards (or license if you will) without our standards we cannot remain officers. I hope this helps!!