T Nation

Research on Best Sitting Posture

Found this interesting.

“A 135-degree body-thigh sitting posture was demonstrated to be the best biomechanical sitting position, as opposed to a 90-degree posture, which most people consider normal,” said Waseem Amir Bashir, M.B.Ch.B., F.R.C.R., author and clinical fellow in the Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging at the University of Alberta Hospital, Canada. “Sitting in a sound anatomic position is essential, since the strain put on the spine and its associated ligaments over time can lead to pain, deformity and chronic illness.”

• POC

[quote]PredatorOC wrote:
Found this interesting.

“A 135-degree body-thigh sitting posture was demonstrated to be the best biomechanical sitting position, as opposed to a 90-degree posture, which most people consider normal,” said Waseem Amir Bashir, M.B.Ch.B., F.R.C.R., author and clinical fellow in the Department of Radiology and Diagnostic Imaging at the University of Alberta Hospital, Canada. “Sitting in a sound anatomic position is essential, since the strain put on the spine and its associated ligaments over time can lead to pain, deformity and chronic illness.”

• POC[/quote]

Cool, thats the way i’ve been sitting for years.

I am sitting naked in a beanbag eating Cheetos.

As long as you’re leaning back at a 135-degree angle you’re cool.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
I am sitting naked in a beanbag eating Cheetos.[/quote]

A couple things to consider:

That 135 is relative to the horizontal, not the seat bottom. Best is actually around 110 net angle with periodic adjustment (1 hr for men, up to 3 for women).

Don’t tuck your pelvis under much. Lumber flexion = teh suck for prolonged periods.

If you’re leaned back properly, make sure what you’re looking at isn’t below your gaze, otherwise you’re trading low back for neck.

-Dan