T Nation

Research Into Powerlifting

Hey guys,

I’m doing my university psychology dissertation on powerlifting, which is reliant on me being able to distribute a survey to as many powerlifters as possible (18+ years old and active in powerlifting for at least 6 months). This research has the potential to be published as a scientific article if executed well and with enough participants. This could be very beneficial for furthering our knowledge of powerlifting. It would be very kind and helpful if you could take just 10 minutes out of your day (when I filled out the pilot study, it only took me 5 minutes) to fill in this survey and pass it along to any other powerlifters you know or know of.

https://aber.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/powerlifting-survey

Thank you in advance!

I took it, care to extrapolate on what you are researching?

I guess they are going to figure out which Meyers-Briggs personality types squat to parallel.

Kind of a weird survey. Many answers could be both/neither if given that option. Not as much powerlifting related as I expected.

cparker - Thank you very much for taking the time to fill it out! Unfortunately I can’t give away the specifics of what I’m researching in order to counter potentially socially desirable answers from participants, but once I’ve finished the report, I can send you a copy of it if you want one and provided your email address in the survey!

Ecchastang - I’m sure that it does seem strange to anybody filling it out, but I can assure you that I’ve asked these questions for good reasons. I can also send you a copy of the finished report if you filled out your email address and would like to receive one.

[quote]BerserkrRage93 wrote:
cparker - Thank you very much for taking the time to fill it out! Unfortunately I can’t give away the specifics of what I’m researching in order to counter potentially socially desirable answers from participants, but once I’ve finished the report, I can send you a copy of it if you want one and provided your email address in the survey!

Ecchastang - I’m sure that it does seem strange to anybody filling it out, but I can assure you that I’ve asked these questions for good reasons. I can also send you a copy of the finished report if you filled out your email address and would like to receive one.[/quote]Didn’t provide my email. Can I send it to you? Or, just post it on here at when you finish.

The only people I’m really supposed to give the opportunity to see it are the people who provided their email addressed, however, if you could email me from your personal email address in late March/early April, (after I’ve handed it in) I will send you a copy then.

I’d be happy to participate but I haven’t competed in power lifting yet - been specifically training for it since September 2014 and I’m competing twice in March. Previously I competed in kettlebell sport from 2012 onwards, so let me know if I fit your demographic and I’ll go ahead.

Ecchastang - Sorry for a late reply. I tried to reply to your message earlier when I saw it, but it seems it hasn’t appeared! If you would like to see the completed report, please send me an email around late March/early April and I will email you back with an attached copy.

MarkKO - Well, it does look as though you know what you’re doing in your display picture (200kg deadlift? Only training since September?), so though you haven’t been training specifically for powerlifting, it would seem that you’ve been in the business of some type of strength training for a lot longer. I would be happy (and grateful) for you to participate if you’d be willing and able to!

Kind regards,
Josh

[quote]BerserkrRage93 wrote:
Ecchastang - Sorry for a late reply. I tried to reply to your message earlier when I saw it, but it seems it hasn’t appeared! If you would like to see the completed report, please send me an email around late March/early April and I will email you back with an attached copy.

MarkKO - Well, it does look as though you know what you’re doing in your display picture (200kg deadlift? Only training since September?), so though you haven’t been training specifically for powerlifting, it would seem that you’ve been in the business of some type of strength training for a lot longer. I would be happy (and grateful) for you to participate if you’d be willing and able to!

Kind regards,
Josh[/quote]

Done. Yep, 204.5 kg to be precise. That was kind of a special day for me because it was the first time I used over 200 kg just for training and not a PR attempt (I hit it for three singles). I’d had a 180 kg PR since September 2013 without actually doing anything other than kettlebell sport (so no barbell work since mid 2010), then hit 215 kg at the end of December 2014 after dedicated power lifting training. I want a triple bodyweight pull by the end of the year, so I’ve got a ways to go. My bench is what needs the most work, though. It sucks.

Done - and good luck with your dissertation, finished my degree in Psychology last year, wish I’d had the chance to do mine in something to do with strength sports! Also can you put me down to be sent a copy when you’re done, thanks

Done. Best of luck to you on your research.

There you go.

Look forward to seeing your results – will you be mailing them out to participants upon completion of the study?

Done and would love a copy. Good luck.

Done and good luck bud

Thank you to everybody who has commented and taken part in the research! You have helped so much and I’ve now become very close to having the required number of participants. I appreciate it all.

To those of you who have asked; once I’ve completed the research, handed it in and received marking, I will send all of you who left me your email addresses an email with the results!

Done! I look forward to the results.

Thank you kindly, Fletch1986!

BUMP Almost hit my target number of participants :slight_smile:

Okay. I’ll do it. Do you have any other females?