Reracking the Plates After Deadlifts

I was wondering how u guys rerack the plates after doing deadlifts? I have a small deadlift right now but am already struggling to get the plates off the bar.

[quote]IronKid wrote:
I was wondering how u guys rerack the plates after doing deadlifts? I have a small deadlift right now but am already struggling to get the plates off the bar.[/quote]

Haha man up and take the weights off? u could have a friend help u OR if your really concerned about it you could get this thing that lifts the bar up in the air kinda like a lever. i forget what they are called but i saw them used at powerlifting meets. but to me a waste of money lol

[quote]N. Robinson wrote:
IronKid wrote:
I was wondering how u guys rerack the plates after doing deadlifts? I have a small deadlift right now but am already struggling to get the plates off the bar.

Haha man up and take the weights off? u could have a friend help u OR if your really concerned about it you could get this thing that lifts the bar up in the air kinda like a lever. i forget what they are called but i saw them used at powerlifting meets. but to me a waste of money lol
[/quote]

Agreed.
If it’s really a big issue, try some rack deadlifts so the plates aren’t so close to the ground, you may find you’ll get a bigger deadlift too. Love to switch it up.

Put a 2.5lb weight below the first 45s you put on.

notice the little hooks in front.

my gym and alot of gyms I been in have these or racks that are like these.but lower and they are for racking after a deadlift

why not on your last deadlift,lift it and rack it on there so you can take the plates off.

or like was said put them on a small plate which raises it up a little

[quote]MaddyD wrote:
notice the little hooks in front.

my gym and alot of gyms I been in have these or racks that are like these.but lower and they are for racking after a deadlift

why not on your last deadlift,lift it and rack it on there so you can take the plates off.

or like was said put them on a small plate which raises it up a little
[/quote]

Thats asking for an injury if he is moving any decent weight, walking with 80%+ to rack it is stupid. Either stick a 2.5 plate where the first 45 is and roll the bar on top of it so you can slide the plates off, man up and lift one side and take them off one by one, ask a friend to help you pick it up to the rack so you can unload it there, or buy one of the tings that power lifting competitions use to load/unload weight…

Another option is loading one 45 and making the rest of the weight with 35’s or 25’s, but it will be impossible once you get to big weights since you wont have space on the sleeves…

I’d never thought this would be an issue for anyone.

My plates have handles. I just take 'em off from the floor.

And seriously, is there anyone who can lift the entire bar who’s incapable of slightly raising one end, either with one hand to slide the plates off, or with both so you can kick a 2.5lb plate underneath?

STOP WHINING. YOU KIDS ARE SOFT. YOU LACK DISCIPLINE!!!

A few guys at my gym have a novel idea they use for proping up one side at a time.

Use an empty EZ curl bar; we have one that the handle in the middle is parallel so one can do hammer curls. the bar fits in there and we just “lever” it up.

Putting the bar in the deep end of the handle holds it still; while the other end is on the ground…it still requires more then yourself…but it works great. We unload a lot of weight with it with less effort.

when someone first showed me the 2.5 plate trick I was blown away.

Something so simple and obvious!

Hell I like to make taking the plates off some work for grip/fingers/forearms/. Yeah them levers used in competition sure do come in handy when maxing out though.

i dont, i just leave it there, someone else can pick it up. hahahaha

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:

Something so simple and obvious![/quote]

I second or third this method. The rubber plates at my gym tend to stick to the bar.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:

Something so simple and obvious![/quote]

Haha. It is simple, but quite genius isn’t it?

There was one time I hit a PR on my deadlift (420lbs) and was going to do my singles over 90% There was this guy who wanted to work in. He is way bigger then me, so he “dropped it down” to 405 and knocked out 10 reps, then we put another 45 on each side for him and he did 495 for 2 reps. He’s a cool guy, but kind of the arrogant type, especially since he was using way more weight then I was able to.

Also, I like to take 3-5 minutes between doing singles, but apparently he was in a rush and wanted to use it right then and there. When we stripped it down to 380lbs for me, he simply tried to pull off the weights. Obvious to say, he had a hard time. I put the 2.5 plate under the first 45lbs plate and got the 2 45lbs plates off the end easily and had to wait on him. I guess he was kind of embarrassed because he was doing things the hard way and he finally decided to use a 2.5lbs plate too.

A few of his friends were watching us, and now every time I see them deadlift, they put a 2.5lbs plate under the 45lbs plate. It puts a smile on my face that I could make their lives a little easier. Haha.

just take the weights off and put them back, they are only 45lbs each. Not very much, especially if you curl over 35lbs per hand.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

Also, I like to take 3-5 minutes between doing singles, but apparently he was in a rush and wanted to use it right then and there. When we stripped it down to 380lbs for me, he simply tried to pull off the weights. Obvious to say, he had a hard time. I put the 2.5 plate under the first 45lbs plate and got the 2 45lbs plates off the end easily and had to wait on him. I guess he was kind of embarrassed because he was doing things the hard way and he finally decided to use a 2.5lbs plate too.
[/quote]

He probably already knew how to use a 2.5lbs plate, but didn’t need it for that weight. Most likely, he was just going to pull the weights off, but once you prop your end up, that becomes near impossible. So basically, you screwed him.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
DjSm28 wrote:

He probably already knew how to use a 2.5lbs plate, but didn’t need it for that weight. Most likely, he was just going to pull the weights off, but once you prop your end up, that becomes near impossible. So basically, you screwed him.[/quote]

Wasn’t this the basis for a rivalry in “The Young And The Restless”? If television can be trusted, the eventual solution to your new-found feud will be a wife swap, two comas and several seasons from now.

[quote]johnnytang24 wrote:
DjSm28 wrote:

He probably already knew how to use a 2.5lbs plate, but didn’t need it for that weight. Most likely, he was just going to pull the weights off, but once you prop your end up, that becomes near impossible. So basically, you screwed him.[/quote]

Oh. Oops. =P Nah. He continues to put a 2.5 plate under the first 45 plate whenever he deadlifts. If he didn’t use it, then I’d agree. However, he does, so I’m guessing he thinks its a good idea.

this HAS to be a troll job