Requisite Reps

Hi Jim,
Im doing your 531 program, and I was wondering if it is okay to just do the requisite reps and work up via joker sets or singles. I understand the rep record philosophy and I agree with it, but my form gets sloppy going for rep records. So do you think it would work if I only did the requisite reps, then did jokers and singles? Any help would be great. Thanks!

I’m not Jim, but I feel if you are not going for rep records than you are not doing 5/3/1. Just doing requisite reps and then heavy jokers would basically be ME Method.

If you agree with it, then why don’t you do everything you can to improve your form.

The PR set is one of only 4 principles I believe in. Asking me if its ok to abandon my principles seems weird to me. Especially over something as simple as discipline.

If you don’t believe in the principles, that’s perfectly fine with me. Find and follow your own path.

[quote]jhtitleist wrote:
Hi Jim,
Im doing your 531 program, and I was wondering if it is okay to just do the requisite reps and work up via joker sets or singles. I understand the rep record philosophy and I agree with it, but my form gets sloppy going for rep records. So do you think it would work if I only did the requisite reps, then did jokers and singles? Any help would be great. Thanks![/quote]

Beyond 5/3/1 states that you should be going to a maximum of 10/8/5 if you are planning to do Jokers or Singles. You really shouldn’t be having a form breakdown with 85% of 90% your training max at 5-10 reps.

I guess I’m doing the PR set, no problem and thanks for the replies guys, I appreciate the help!

kind of random but are joker sets actually programmable or just something you do if you’re feeling up to it?

I think joker sets are programmable to the point of just saying “I’m going to do them.” Other than that they are more of an auto-regulate thing for that specific day.