T Nation

Requirements For Physical Jobs?

I am starting to think there should be some sort of restrictions or requirement for jobs that require the use of Physical presence and force. Jobs such as;

1. Corrections Officer
  2. Police Officer (field)
  3. FireFighter
  4. Et Cetera

I was watching an MSNBC Investigations show, where many of the Corrections Officers in the Prison were below average in height which is not a very important in most circumstances, but they were also very fat and completely out of shape, and it took many of them to restrain even the smaller of prisoners.

At one point there was a 5’2" 110lbs female Correction Officer working in a male Prisoner, where she was being harrassed, and would obviously have no way to defend herself.

Is this area of life really a place for equality in the midst of rational choices?

Are there already requirements? I know the Roman Army would require all soliders to be at least 6’ and I believe the Army still does not allow females to be ground forces?

Dude if there were physical requirements then they wouldn’t be able to find anyone to do the job. There is a huge majority of people who are out of shape in north armerica. Plus there is all that equal opportunity stuff so i suppose it is the fault of the wimpy prison guard if the skinheads touch him in the pants and tie him to a toilet.

And they do let females on the ground now. Shit there are females in the canadian military right now that are forward artillery recon. Im not ot sure about you all down south though but i assume its the same or similar.

Shit dude the army is about shooting, I supposed chicks can do it just as good. I think they do have to be able to haul a certain amount of weight for a certain distance to drag dudes out of combat so i think there are physical resrictions.

Shitty thing is that prison guards dont often have great “force multipliers” because if they get taken by the prisoners then you are in shit.

-chris

[quote]EmperialChina wrote:
I am starting to think there should be some sort of restrictions or requirement for jobs that require the use of Physical presence and force. Jobs such as;

1. Corrections Officer
  2. Police Officer (field)
  3. FireFighter
  4. Et Cetera

I was watching an MSNBC Investigations show, where many of the Corrections Officers in the Prison were below average in height which is not a very important in most circumstances, but they were also very fat and completely out of shape, and it took many of them to restrain even the smaller of prisoners.

At one point there was a 5’2" 110lbs female Correction Officer working in a male Prisoner, where she was being harrassed, and would obviously have no way to defend herself.

Is this area of life really a place for equality in the midst of rational choices?

Are there already requirements? I know the Roman Army would require all soliders to be at least 6’ and I believe the Army still does not allow females to be ground forces?[/quote]

[quote]realpeanutbutter wrote:
Dude if there were physical requirements then they wouldn’t be able to find anyone to do the job. There is a huge majority of people who are out of shape in north armerica. Plus there is all that equal opportunity stuff so i suppose it is the fault of the wimpy prison guard if the skinheads touch him in the pants and tie him to a toilet.

And they do let females on the ground now. Shit there are females in the canadian military right now that are forward artillery recon. Im not ot sure about you all down south though but i assume its the same or similar.

Shit dude the army is about shooting, I supposed chicks can do it just as good. I think they do have to be able to haul a certain amount of weight for a certain distance to drag dudes out of combat so i think there are physical resrictions.

Shitty thing is that prison guards dont often have great “force multipliers” because if they get taken by the prisoners then you are in shit.

-chris

[/quote]

Good points mate. In hindsight, I don’t think any physical requirements are absolutely essential, but they would seem to help out a good bit.