T Nation

Request: Brotherhood Of Iron

I repectfully request membership in the Brotherhood.
Please expalin the Rites of Passage.

PM Hungry4more. This would be awesome.

what is the deal with the brotherhood? Who says who can be in it, how do they decide, etc

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
what is the deal with the brotherhood? Who says who can be in it, how do they decide, etc[/quote]

Everything you need to know can be answered via this link:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
what is the deal with the brotherhood? Who says who can be in it, how do they decide, etc[/quote]

A manifesto for The Brotherhood of Iron and the other groups would be helpful.

They’re not in the groups’ respective forums, and I don’t know where they are located on the site.

officially, the BOI is a non-hazing organization

what’s the deal with the alpha group?

hmm im in Alpha, but would very much to be part of the BOI

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
I repectfully request membership in the Brotherhood.
Please expalin the Rites of Passage. [/quote]

Sorry for not seeing this until now, I’ve had my hands very full last…well, 6 weeks or so haha. Traditionally no “rights of passage” beyond people who want in PMing me (originally was maraduermeat and stu as well, but of course meat’s gone [RIP], and stu’s just generally a very busy guy) with the request, if I don’t know much about the poster I’ll get some background from them (training and current status), and if they seem like a good addition, they’re in. In a couple cases, I’ve asked guys to work at certain things for a few months, sometimes more, before admission. Just a case-by-case basis thing.

In the case of more experienced/advanced guys like yourself, I would have no qualms at all with adding you at your simple request, I’m certain you’d be a great addition and wealth of knowledge. Adding you now. The rest of this post is for anyone else who is wondering how that works, since it needed to be asked by someone who’s been around for a minute like you.

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

what’s the deal with the alpha group?[/quote]

It was supposed to be for the most advanced people on the site…as far as I can tell, the idea was for T-Nation to have all the “good” info minus the trolling in that one forum, so people that were more serious could just go there when they didn’t feel like cutting through all sorts of shit. Sadly, consistent posting didn’t happen there most of the time, I think partially due to the small nature of the group, and the lack of arguments (for the most part). I believe, to at least a certain extent, that may be why Prof X’s idea of a successful thread (as seen in THIS forum in particular), is one with a shit-ton of views and responses, regardless of how much and how useful the info within is.

As much as I hate to admit it, I believe most of us have noticed how many people come crawling out of the woodworks to post in those shitstorm threads. Something about no publicity being bad publicity comes to mind, idk if that applies though.

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
hmm im in Alpha, but would very much to be part of the BOI[/quote]

PM me, we’ll talk.

TLDR:

In BOI we log most of our workouts there, note any issues we’re having so we can help each other out, motivate/compete, and give each other shit in a good-natured manner. PM me if you want in. Troll-free zone.

edit: nm

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]Marzouk wrote:
hmm im in Alpha, but would very much to be part of the BOI[/quote]

PM me, we’ll talk. [/quote]

i would do but they don’t work :frowning:

SOMEDAY I WILL BE COOL ENOUGH FOR BOI.

Mark my words!!

MWAHHAHA

It was supposed to be for the most advanced people on the site…as far as I can tell, the idea was for T-Nation to have all the “good” info minus the trolling in that one forum, so people that were more serious could just go there when they didn’t feel like cutting through all sorts of shit. Sadly, consistent posting didn’t happen there most of the time, I think partially due to the small nature of the group, and the lack of arguments (for the most part). I believe, to at least a certain extent, that may be why Prof X’s idea of a successful thread (as seen in THIS forum in particular), is one with a shit-ton of views and responses, regardless of how much and how useful the info within is.

As much as I hate to admit it, I believe most of us have noticed how many people come crawling out of the woodworks to post in those shitstorm threads. Something about no publicity being bad publicity comes to mind, idk if that applies though. [/quote]

Your statements re: “people come crawling out…to post in those shitstorm threads…no publicity is bad…” is true. As nauseating and brain-cell destroying as those posts (and the majority of the posters) are, it does increase the website traffic. And it doesn’t take a genius to figure that the more hits your website gets, the better it (generally) is.

As for T-Cell, I noticed that many of the same people who really don’t contribute anything useful post in there as well. For example, a member of T-Cell recently posted a racially offensive image in a Bigger/Stronger/Leaner thread when he couldn’t “win” an internet fight with another member. To top it off, this shit stain recently posted in another thread in B/S/L about how he despises trolling. Btw, I have NOT read one informative post from this individual.

So much for exclusivity of membership. And if I’m thinking this, so are many others.

The premise behind BOI is interesting. I, for one, joined the T-Nation forum for the reasons you outlined. However, I’ve noticed the BOI is primarily powerlifting oriented. Strength can express itself through other means. Also, the small number of members within BOI, by it’s nature, guarantees that the subject matter discussed will also be limited. I rather enjoy clarifying any valid issues someone may have (if I have the time and the subject falls within my area of expertise). And I enjoy bouncing ideas with a very very small group of members here who I respect. Unfortunately, these questions/topics arise in other forums…which means I have to pay the troll tax.

This site would serve itself and the regular contributors (who actually post information of value) a service if it did the following:

1. lock down a thread when it becomes painfully obvious that people are doing little more than slinging mud at each other

2. implement some type of a warning/suspension system for posters who are clearly of no value.

As much as I hate to admit it, I believe most of us have noticed how many people come crawling out of the woodworks to post in those shitstorm threads. Something about no publicity being bad publicity comes to mind, idk if that applies though. [/quote]

Why T-Nation didn’t ban ProfX years ago is beyond my understanding.

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
SOMEDAY I WILL BE COOL ENOUGH FOR BOI.

Mark my words!!

MWAHHAHA[/quote]

I’d added buckeyegirl a while back, but she didn’t stick around long. IIRC she’s been the only woman in it to date.

[quote]56x11 wrote:

Your statements re: “people come crawling out…to post in those shitstorm threads…no publicity is bad…” is true. As nauseating and brain-cell destroying as those posts (and the majority of the posters) are, it does increase the website traffic. And it doesn’t take a genius to figure that the more hits your website gets, the better it (generally) is.

As for T-Cell, I noticed that many of the same people who really don’t contribute anything useful post in there as well. For example, a member of T-Cell recently posted a racially offensive image in a Bigger/Stronger/Leaner thread when he couldn’t “win” an internet fight with another member. To top it off, this shit stain recently posted in another thread in B/S/L about how he despises trolling. Btw, I have NOT read one informative post from this individual.

So much for exclusivity of membership. And if I’m thinking this, so are many others.

The premise behind BOI is interesting. I, for one, joined the T-Nation forum for the reasons you outlined. However, I’ve noticed the BOI is primarily powerlifting oriented. Strength can express itself through other means. Also, the small number of members within BOI, by it’s nature, guarantees that the subject matter discussed will also be limited. I rather enjoy clarifying any valid issues someone may have (if I have the time and the subject falls within my area of expertise). And I enjoy bouncing ideas with a very very small group of members here who I respect. Unfortunately, these questions/topics arise in other forums…which means I have to pay the troll tax.

This site would serve itself and the regular contributors (who actually post information of value) a service if it did the following:

1. lock down a thread when it becomes painfully obvious that people are doing little more than slinging mud at each other

2. implement some type of a warning/suspension system for posters who are clearly of no value. [/quote]

BOI mostly has powerlifters in it these days, true. Not for any particular reason though.

Your issues with the website are largely just products of the internet…you can’t FORCE good, productive communication between random people in a free forum. You have to try and cultivate a culture that encourages that.

“Other” online communities exist aplenty, not sure why you’re under the impression that’s not already a thing. Any invite-only group eliminates many of these issues, hence sub-forums like BOI which are invite-only.

[quote]Caltene wrote:

Why T-Nation didn’t ban ProfX years ago is beyond my understanding.[/quote]

Trying to stay away from this discussion…

[quote]56x11 wrote:

2. implement some type of a warning/suspension system for posters who are clearly of no value. [/quote]

BOI mostly has powerlifters in it these days, true. Not for any particular reason though.

Your issues with the website are largely just products of the internet…you can’t FORCE good, productive communication between random people in a free forum. You have to try and cultivate a culture that encourages that.

“Other” online communities exist aplenty, not sure why you’re under the impression that’s not already a thing. Any invite-only group eliminates many of these issues, hence sub-forums like BOI which are invite-only. [/quote]

You’re not telling me anything I don’t already know.

My contention is this. Because BOI (or any other group with a limited membership) will, by the very nature of limited membership, will not and cannot have topics that cover a wide spectrum. Other topics that do not fall within the BOI discussion will therefore arise in other threads. I sincerely believe that better moderation would serve the site better.

For example, in a “What are you doing now” thread, a self-professed new trainee mentioned his AM training. I gave him my thoughts on the dangers of loading the L-spine. Topics and discussions like this don’t get discussed among advanced lifters because they presumably know the risks and their bodies. So it would be refreshing to see a semblance of courtesy enforced if certain posters lack the maturity of discipline.

Best of luck with BOI. Like I said earlier, I admire the idea behind it. It’s the fact that many discussions that fall outside its realm that often interest me.