Republicans and Muslims

Sounds like you’re accusing him of being a Jew…’ Respectfully’ my ass. He’s known more Arab Muslims than you will ever know.

The shit? Your reading comprehension is lacking today

Cool. Let me know when Arab Muslims = Republican Americans.

Dumbass

Busted…

1 Like

Yup, you caught me. Good one

It has nothing to do with Islamaphobia. It isn’t a fear. The main issue is that a good number of Republicans are Christian. Whether they practice it perfectly (Which no one can) is a different matter. Christianity and Islam are not compatible. I won’t go into why I think they aren’t compatible, but most Conservative Christians feel this same way. I am not here to start some side hate thread where we disagree about whether they are or are not compatible. This is a major reason as to why Republicans have not targeted the muslim population and would rather see those who aren’t citizens deported to their home countries.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask. I’ll ignore the less intellectual (F you for thinking differently) responses.

2 Likes

Republican’s don’t target the Muslim population because they’re like 1% of the population only a portion of which can even vote…

This isn’t rocket science.

2 Likes

Do all muslims (religion, not people group), believe in Sharia Law? If so, it is in direct conflict with western society and constitution.

2 Likes

This is 100 percent correct!

I haven’t fully read it. My Arabic is terrible so I have usually read and memorized around a few parts of it. I haven’t in awhile read the entire thing in English. I usually read parts of it during Ramadan. I have friends and acquaintances who read the whole thing during Ramadan.

I am a Somali American. Who barely speaks Somali, so I have gained an interest in trying to learn Somali first before I learn Arabic.

1 Like

Don’t feel bad. I studied Arabic from pre-K through the military. I speak it pretty well – Arabs think I am Arab on the phone (not in person).

But reading it literally hurts my head. It’s gotten worse as I’ve needed reading glasses. I think, short of Chinese or similar, it’s one of the hardest languages to read.

You realize Jewbacca lives in the US?

Hi dchris. You may find this 2013 Pew Poll helpful in answering your question. This came up in my old Nationalism and Globalism thread.

Percentages of Muslims from various countries who believe Sharia should be the law of the land, or who support ideas like execution for people who leave Islam.

As you can see, there’s some variation depending on where people are from, but in some places (Afghanistan, Pakistan, Iraq, among others) there’s nearly universal support for Sharia Law as the law of the land.

1 Like

I’m a conservative, not a Republican, so I can’t really speak to the party’s outreach strategy (or lack thereof). I can only share my observations and opinions as a conservative living in a small city with one of the highest concentrations of Muslims you’ll find in America.

On the local level the voting patterns are explained quite easily. Somali and Bantu residents of Maine are heavily dependent on government benefits, which presently offer very attractive incentives to continue having children and remain on government aid. Democrats want to expand those benefits, Republicans want to shrink benefits. Of course the local Muslims overwhelmingly vote Democrat. Why wouldn’t they?

On a social level, this breeds a certain level of resentment among the locals, and it is probably fair to say that you’ll find more resentful Republicans vs Democrats (but not always true, per se). Some of the resentment is very unfair and simply rooted in prejudice. I certainly don’t blame any Somalian for wanting to get out of Somalia, but not everyone shares this opinion. Some of the resentment is rooted in the high taxes we pay. Some of the resentment is rooted in deep cultural differences. A friend of mine is a paramedic. His two most common calls are drunk college kids and Somalian mothers going into labor (often without any prenatal care). And go into labor Somalian mothers do…

This leads to another point of resentment among locals. They’re getting out-bred, and there’s an awful lot of people with deep roots in the community who don’t like the idea of a Muslim-majority Lewiston, Maine in 20 years or so, which is where things are headed. I’m not so sure this is “Islamaphobia” so much as it is a normal reaction to people seeing the traditions, values and cultural make-up of their home change so dramatically, so quickly.

I think the lack of assimilation is a real concern, but probably a bit overblown. The Muslim adults in my area definitely seem to fit that bill, but the kids are getting assimilated whether their parents like it or not. My adopted son has had a few Somalian kids over to play over the years and they were all very polite, very well-behaved and spoke excellent English. That’s American enough for me.

While Lewiston might be headed for Muslim-majority within my lifetime, I think the kids growing up into that population are going to be just fine. We’ve not had any problems with terrorism, nor have we had an uptick in rapes or any of the refugee horror stories you hear out of Europe. I guess what’s happening here is more-or-less what you’d expect if you settled a bunch of Somalians in whitest, most peaceful state in the country. The immigrant kids who grow up here take on the culture of the kids they live next door to. Plus our soccer team is kicking ass left and right.

For the white kids’ sake, let’s hope the Somalian athletes stick to soccer and don’t start playing hockey. Let us have that please.

I know this isn’t a full answer to your question, but I think it is worthwhile to look at some of the real concerns of good, decent people. These concerns are valid, yet they are usually marginalized by painting it with the “Islamophobia” brush.

6 Likes

No, you are wrong. A big concern that even some liberals have is how freedom of speech is affected when you have a significant number of Muslims in a community. Hitchens talked about the word islamophobia and how it’s used to shut down discourse.

Sure do

I’m quoting myself here, but I have one more point to add…

@libanbolt I’ll just add that they way you conduct yourself on these forums reminds me of the young Somalian men and women I normally encounter here in Maine. Polite, well-spoken and looking for success.

3 Likes

This is interesting. Would you, not necessarily you Puff, equate this to the variance in Christian beliefs?

I have an old coworker whose parents were Somalian immigrants. He’s weirdly polite. I remember always feeling so stupid when I was puzzled by his niceness. It was just so out of the norm it made me think something was up.

edit: as I read this now I’m not 100% sure it was Somalia, do people refer to the whole region as the horn of Africa or just Somalia?

I thought something like this might come up. The Koran is not supposed to be translated and many if not most current Muslims aren’t native Arabic speakers. Mohammed wanted to eliminate the possibility of translation errors and hence alternative interpretations of the message. My wife’s family are native Pushto and Dari (Pashtoon Farsi) speakers but they all spent years memorizing the Koran in Arabic, a language they cannot speak. My wife’s late grandmother could read the Koran in Arabic but was illiterate in her own languages. I’ve always wondered how that works for people like you. How do you know what’s in the Koran? If you don’t know are you really a Muslim? Is it more of a cultural thing?

Do Muslims use this a criteria for being a real Muslim? Serious question. I’ve never really heard this out of the Christian denominations