Republicans and Muslims

It’s not a brush stroke. Republicans exist that fear Muslims. They exist in numbers far larger than the Dem side. Nowhere did I say “most” republicans fear Muslims. Many just tow the line

It was a direct response to “the false idea that Republicans fear Muslims.”

Again, still didn’t say most. You just seem to be trying to pick a fight

Nope. Approached this with love tbh. You make good posts, usually. You do, however, paint with broad strokes from time to time. This was one of those times.

The reason it’s meaningless is many doesn’t mean much. It’s subjective and you provided no data to clarify what many is. Hence it’s meaningless and subject to your opinion of how many of what ever group constitutes as “many”. EDIT: and then you kept segmenting out down to your anecdotal experience which is increasingly meaningless on the whole. Meaningful to you, sure.

I rarely want to pick fights in this forum. Even rarer I want to pick them with you. Take that for what it’s worth

Understood. I fundamentally disagree.

Edit: disagreeing that this is one of those times, not that I never do it

Many is a non zero number. Jewbaccas claim is a zero number.

It’s not a false idea that Republicans fear Muslims. It’s not a false idea that Democrats fear Muslims.

It doesn’t look like he made a zero number claim to me.

He (to me) used that line to say any fear Republicans have is rational. I would disagree with that as well.

Given he went on to call it a false idea, it influence what I took to be his meaning

If jewbacca meant it differently than how I’m interpreting it, apologies for the confusion.

I don’t think that’s what he meant at all. He goes on to say:

He specifically says they’re accused of irrational fears just because they point out Islam has a problem with radicals, which they do.

Not that they are afraid of Muslims, generally. Or that a fear of pedestrian Islam is rational.

2 Likes

I think an issue related to whether something is considered obvious vs. unobvious vs. false is as simple as syntax in how an idea is presented or the perspective of the reader

I’m not sure what you exactly meant by the term “Islam” when you wrote that - but to me I read it as “Muslims have an Islamist problem”. It actually makes differences in a humans’ likeliness’ to respond in various ways when you combine words like “quite often”, “daring”, and “obvious” with all of that

“Islam has an Islamist problem” I disagree with.
“Muslims have an Islamist problem” I agree much more with. Although I don’t know what Islamism is exactly, I get the general idea

Similar to the term “islamophobia” being overused, I can easily imagine the terms “Islamist” and “Islamism” being overused since they are quite imprecise terms

For what it’s worth, I could listen all day to stories from sisters in hijabs that indicate that “Islamophobia” is alive and well in the states - particularly from stereotypical “Republican seeming folk”. Since I am white I don’t have personal experiences myself that I can recall

Sometimes less really is more.

1 Like

There was a gun shop that had a sign stating they would not sell to Muslims.

Reminds of the liberal fear of white rural Christians and their bible and guns. Because of the epidemic of murderous countrified NRA types. I guess.

Consider myself Christian conservative. Have no problem with muslims, and welcome them as conservative allies. Between them and Mormons, social conservatism should have a future.

Sorry, I don’t know if this is a limitation in English (or just how Israelis use English), but, my intent with “Islam has” is the same as “Christendom has” or (almost, but not quite broad enough) “Muslims have” or “Christians have”.

It’s an attempt to embrace the overarching concept of not just the religion, but the believers therein, the society, and the culture.

I am not familiar with an English word connoting the Islamic equivalent to “Christendom” except “Islam”

Mark Twain once wrote that the difference between “almost the right word” and the “right word” is the difference between a lightening bug and lightening. If someone knows the right word, please tell.

Good thing they weren’t selling cakes

Correct. Obviously there are some Republicans with an irrational fear of normal Muslims.

There are some Republicans with an irrational fear of spider, too.

Heck, I suspect Senator Lindsey Graham has an irrational fear of basketballs, footballs, and the white towels found in gyms.

But we are talking generic Republicans, not outliers.

There is a lie spread that generic Republicans have some sort of irrational fear of generic Muslims. That’s a falsehood.

They are, however, slandered by such claims, repeatedly.

1 Like

There is a Muslim bakery that refuses to make cakes for same-sex weddings, too. (Oddly, no one has filed suit about this, despite it being on camera, but that’s a whole other thread.)

No one serious cares about outliers.

1 Like

Oh, well, obviously THOSE muslims should be feared. Matrimonial dessert goods are a right!

I’ve been reading this thread with interest as it hits a bit close to home, literally. I’m a conservative guy from a conservative family of Episcopalians and I married into a family of Sunni Muslims from Afghanistan. While my wife was born here and raised religiously neutral she does consider herself an unbaptised Christian.

Anyway, I’ve never had any concern or fear about anyone in her family or their large group of Muslim immigrant friends. In fact they’ve always treated me warmly and with respect and I do the same to them. I would ask if anyone who brings up Islamaphobia has read the Koran though. I have an English copy given to me by the Imam of a local mosque. It’s an interesting read. While there are plenty of themes common to Christianity and Judaism there is also plenty of “holy shit, it says that?!” stuff in there too and that’s the problem. If you know how to read the Koran you really can’t ignore that stuff. I’d love to hear from the OP or other observant Muslims outside my family how they reconcile the Koran with living in an open Western society.

There was a comedian who gave the reason why comedians will make fun of every religion but Islam.

That’s because you fell for the BS the democrats where pushing on you. And the majority of Islamism supporters are on the left. Further, normal conservatives demand some kind of assimilation into the society writ large. Not give up your culture, but accept your adopted culture as also your own. Not isolate yourselves in mini-communities that strongly resemble “home”

We also demand you out your radical friends and expose and expunge radicalism where you see it, publicly. So that we can see you stand with us, not them. That you stand for peace and love of neighbor and not the cleansing of the world of all things not Islamic.
Because, at this time, Islam has a tiny PR problem that is tied to violence related to hatred of Jews and hatred of the west. This shit scares us. And we don’t like to be scared.

EDIT: That is this conservative’s opinion. I won’t pretend to speak for anybody but myself.

Ding Ding! “An uppercut from Jewbacca, and HE’s CUT, the Russian’s, cut!”

1 Like

Bullshit. The fear of Muslims is based purely on terrorism and nothing else. Tepid responses to terrorist acts from Muslim communities, make many including left and right, (See Bill Maher), make people feel they are trending toward more sympathy with the terrorists, than the blood of the innocents they killed. It’s not more complicated than that.

1 Like