Republican Hopefull at a Ligerie Party

I will say he knows how to party, but I would not vote for him

Awesome. Another pointless link to The Blaze. Keep 'em coming!

I found these a couple of weeks ago.

For more on them- Laetiporus - Wikipedia

They were fucking awesome.

Here’s another one taken for scale. The oak appears to be several hundred years old and yeilds several different species of edibles.

Pow! This baby is gold. My sister used a nice piece of it to make a wild mushroom and barley stew for her churches fall chili and soup cook-off. She took 3rd out of 25 entrants, several of whom were formally trained chefs.

Truly a wonderful addition to many dishes, more on this delicious wild food can be found here- Grifola frondosa - Wikipedia

but to find them yourself, you are gonna need a sharp eye and some stamina for hiking.

This is how they typically appear in their natural state.

I didn’t think it was possible but you actually made this thread very cool. Amazing shots man. Beautiful stuff. This planet never fails to blow my mind. Thanks.

Another from that day, locally known as a hedgehogs tooth. We usually leave these ones on the stump once they get this big, as they become very bitter with age. This particular one has been appearing like clockwork for the past 6 years on the log of a silver maple that had fallen across a path and was cut to clear the way.

Hericium erinaceus - Wikipedia

[quote]GCF wrote:
I didn’t think it was possible but you actually made this thread very cool. Amazing shots man. Beautiful stuff. This planet never fails to blow my mind. Thanks.[/quote]

Thank you. This is my little oddball hobby. I combined my knowledge of forestry gained through years of tree work with my want for some tasty vittles and came up with this.

Unfortunately, my hard drive got scrubbed from a virus a couple of months ago and I lost about 10 years worth of my own documentation on the subject.

Found this little bugger that day too. Make no mistake, this delicate looking little cap and stem will kill you. Meet the Destroying Angel- Destroying angel - Wikipedia

edited to remove link

These are from a patch we found last year and revisited this year, much to our enjoyment.

Laid out for cleaning and drying. This is about a quarter of the total take. I always split them with my sis.

MMM! Chicken!

Seriously man you are inspiring me. I am a keen hiker/mountaineer and have always had a little interest in foraging but have never done anything about it. This is going to change. Perfect way to link it to my other 2 favourite hobbies - cooking and eating.

Check for some mycology clubs or organizations in your region. They can point you in the right direction as far as good reference material and local variations. One of my favorites is- http://www.amazon.com/National-Audubon-Society-American-Mushrooms/dp/0394519922

Combined with their field guide to trees and your own knowledge of the outdoors, and you should be well on your way.

It has been a great enhancement of my and my families life, providing countless hours of healthy fun and some of the best food experiences in the world.

You don’t want to go about it uninformed though. That destroying angel is one of many with a very common appearance that can wipe you out.

I stick mainly to ones that are easily identifiable with virtually no chance of confusion.

A couple more and I’m done for the night.

This is a morel hiding behind a may apple-

The morel in a beef gravy, whipped potato, and a perfectly cooked new york strip.

It is funny how grown men can act like 4 year olds. If you think something is so irrelivent just dont participate.

Who really gives two shits if he was at the party? He was enjoying life let him live.