Reps/Strength

still gonna have to call bullshido

seriously, how is it that hard to believe? i have not been training in the high rep range in a good while, usually never going above 6. all i am asking for is advice

It’s hard to believe because I’ve never seen a that in 16 years of working in gyms. With a max bench of 315, I could do 15 EASY reps with 225.

i tried to post a serious response to this but couldnt…that made me realize that this post is a joke…

its a good one!

I can squat 600 but only squat 315 for a max of 2 reps. Should I try 20 rep breathing squats (with the bar)?

I suspect your spotter curled/shrugged/upright-rowed about 100 lbs of that 330 for you.

Did you do one of those fancy ‘bounce off your chest’ reps when doing the 330? If you are maxing @ 330# you should be able to easily rep 225 w/close grip imho.

No this isn’t BS, I’m in the same boat here. My max bench is 285 at 202, and I can only rep 225 2 or 3 times at the most. My squat and DL are like this too. I recently pulled 315 for a max of 3 reps and then went on to pull 405 the following week.

If asked, I would attribute this to never training higher than 3 reps on any exercise other than pull ups. I would also attribute this to having either a high fast twitch ratio or having a very efficient nervous system.

RJ

Its like saying "When I jump three times in a row I can only average 10 inches off the floor but when I jump just once I can jump 40.

You may be the only human composed completely of fast twitch muscle fibers.

guys, give him the benefit of the doubt and just help him or dont say nothing. Stop all the flaming very annoying .

I see your problem all right but theres only one thing buging me and thats the overpowering smell of bullshit

i will post a video soon of me doing it then, prob in a couple weeks, just to show u guys. im sorry if u dont believe me, but it is true. i lower the bar down to my chest, touch it(not bounce) then push up. my spotter doesnt touch the bar until ive locked out, then helps rack the weight. i attribute this not being able to rep well to my training, as i havent messed with high reps in awhile, usually never going above 6.

[quote]Ballin4Christ32 wrote:
hey guys,
my max bench press is 330, just achieved it this past weekend(im 215 lbs). my problem though is that i can only bench 225 like 3 times max and anything higher can only single it. how do i get my reps up[/quote]

If these numbers are/were true, then in theory you should be getting absolutely huge and also require many days of recovery from doing singles-I mean in theory you would be using an extremely high percentage of your muscle fibers and with an extremely high firing rate-I can only think of Paul Anderson who got big doing 1’s and 2’s and he was 370.

The true best answer to your question if genuine would be that you have a medical problem-perhaps a heart defect that is shutting you down after a few seconds of activity. See a doctor immediately.

If your numbers were a little more reasonable I would say do multiple singles (10-15) with 45 seconds rest period.

I chalk it up to how one trains. He said he rarely goes over 6 reps, thus conditioning his body for more maximal strength than endurance strength I would guess.

Anyways, even if it’s not true, and is a BS claim, my suggestion for a scenario like this is just ladders with 225, rest pause with 225 (like previously stated for both), or some kind of endurance training to offset the max training such as 3x15 with 2-3 minutes rest in between sets. So you can have a heavy upper, and a light upper (kind of like west side for skinny bastards, ME day and Max reps day). If your lower body is the same, then you’d have heavy upper, light lower, rest, light upper, heavy lower. See how that works maybe?

I mean, now that I think about it, I almost the same way, but just not to such an extent (I can get 210 on DL for 2 reps, but I just pulled 260 from 35’s [a deficit I guess compared to 45s?] for a single with a pretty crappy warm up with plenty “left in the tank” for a heavier weight). Funny enough, I’ve never trained a DL for over 3 reps, so IMO, based on my anecdotal evidence, I think it’s training, but anyways.:slight_smile:

well i hardly ever do singles, like on a regular basis. iv been doing db lifts the last couple weeks, usually with 90’s in the 6 rep range. isnt a ladder something like this:
135x10
155x8
185x6
205x4
225x2
245x1
225x2
205x4
185x6
155x8
135x10

No that’s a descending ascending pyramid. I concur with mertdawg on this…the only reason you should not be able to get 68% of your 1RM 3 times is a heart defect of some sort. Chalk it up to the way he trains…please…even the most advanced athletes and powerlifters can lift 68% of their max 3 times…noone is that fast twitch…my God a sample westside rep work for speed day…which is supposed to be nowhere near failure is to use 70% for reps of 5 jsut to work on form.

ya but when i would do west side, i usually repped with 185, never 225. i didnt max out until i had done west side for about 6 weeks. i first maxed out at 300(easy), then about a week later 315, then 3 weeks later went for 330 and barely got it

““my spotter doesnt touch the bar until ive locked out, then helps rack the weight””

in an earlier post, you said you didnt have a spotter

i dont. i only max when i work out with my brother, cuz i trust him. i went home to my moms place, and we went and worked out. i got a lift off, he stepped back, i lowered it, touched my chest, then got it up(barely though) and then once i was locked out, he helped me rack it