T Nation

Reps per W.O. as per Waterbury Article

In Chad Waterbury’s article he mentions how greatly the reps can vary in different W.O.'s if the sets remain the same.
For ex. I do 9 sets per bodypart, however on light days this is about 180 reps and on heavy days this is only 90 reps.
Before this article I was not fully aware of this discrepency, however now that I know, I am wondering what is the correct rep range for any workout, heavy or light?

NASA,
Ah, the 10 million dollar question! How many reps during a heavy or light workout? Well, unfortunately I can’t give you an exact answer unless you were in Tucson and I could assess you myself. But, I don’t want to leave you empty-handed so I will give some gross generalizations.
First of all, it is a myth that heavy and light workouts should consist of completely opposite rep schemes. This is only necessary if you are working to absolute failure (which I hope you are not). Therefore, with some trainees, I might have them perform 60 total reps on light/speed day, whereas they might perform 70 total reps on heavy days. It all depends on where their weaknesses are. Confused yet?
But as a general rule, perform half as many total reps for 85+% of 1RM training as you do for light 50-60% of 1RM training. This should get you started on the right track.

Mr Waterbury,
Thank You very much for the information. I would also like to tell you how much I appreciated your 100 reps for recovery article. My chest had always been my weak point, however after 14 weeks of doing 5 to 8 sets of 30 pushups on my non-chest days I now have a chest that looks like it belongs on someone larger (and stronger.) Thanks again.