Reps helping 1RM

How many of you have been in a plateau and backed off on the weight and done a bunch of reps, say in the 10-15 rep range and slowly increased the weight? (im referring to the bench) And if you have done this, once you started to go back to heavier training, did you see any carry over at all once you got used to the heavier weights again? Because this is what I have been doing for the past few months now, sets of 10-15 reps and have not yet gone back to heavier reps (3-5 reps). Just curious as to what I should expect. Thanks in advance!

ever tried 5/3/1? i havent done any main lifts for less than 6 reps since May, but now im repping above my previous maxes

[quote]RUHLFAN wrote:
How many of you have been in a plateau and backed off on the weight and done a bunch of reps, say in the 10-15 rep range and slowly increased the weight? (im referring to the bench) And if you have done this, once you started to go back to heavier training, did you see any carry over at all once you got used to the heavier weights again? Because this is what I have been doing for the past few months now, sets of 10-15 reps and have not yet gone back to heavier reps (3-5 reps). Just curious as to what I should expect. Thanks in advance! [/quote]

never as high as 10-15. under 5, yes

ive run a month or two of just adding 5-10 to a 10RM as often as ii can for bench and particular close grip, doing 4x10 on close grip for two months going from 175x10 to 225x10 made a huge difference in breaking 315, so yeh i like to take a month or two here and there to do high reps strictly and then come back and force the carryover to 1RM

after an intense strength template, i like to back off and do volume for a while to let my body heal and all that. i’m about 2wks away from doing this (at the end of a strength template right now) and i’ve already smashed all my previous PR’s.

it’s not a bad way to break plateaus.

When I first started doing these high reps, I was terrible at them. I started off doing 170lbsx3x15. Last friday, about 3 months later I did 225x3x12 pretty easily. Body weight has stayed the same. So yea, my repping strength sucked. Even before I started this my PR was, and still is, 350 RAW. So I’m interested as to where its gonna go after I go back to heavier weights, months down the road.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
after an intense strength template, i like to back off and do volume for a while to let my body heal and all that. i’m about 2wks away from doing this (at the end of a strength template right now) and i’ve already smashed all my previous PR’s.

it’s not a bad way to break plateaus.[/quote]

As far as I know this is one of the most common ways to increase strength. Start from high volume low weights and gradually build to heavy low reps, then again.

^ Kaz trained like that!

DAY EXERCISE SETS REPS

MON Wide Grip Bench Press 3 10
MON Narrow Grip Bench Press 3 10
MON Front Shoulder Raises 4 8
MON Dumbell Seated Press 4 10
MON Side Shoulder Raises 4 10
MON Lying Tricep Press 6 10
MON Push Downs 4 10

TUE Squats 4 10
TUE Deadlift 3 10
TUE Shrugs (light weight) 2 15-40