Reps At 225 Pounds?

[quote]rcsermas wrote:
1 :slight_smile:

Last year I saw one of the firefighters that works out at my schoolā€™s gym do it 49 times. [/quote]

49 reps? If I saw that I would bow my head in shame and just leave the gym for that day. lol

[quote]Pinto wrote:
Iā€™m 260-270 lbs. I get 18-20 at the end of a bench workout or if I go close grip, about 16-18. I like doing them, but my hunch is that they donā€™t do a damn thing for me other than make me better at doing 225 for reps. [/quote]

Exactly why I hadnā€™t trained them in over a year. I was training a 225 rep mesocycle b/c we had football testing in that particular lift and I wanted to break a record when I got my 34. It didnā€™t really do dick for my max. My max is higher now, but my 225 reps were lower when I tried it again recently. Every couple of weeks I throw and RE day in to mix it up, but not very often. We have the same hunch.

Do you do speed work normally or RE for your second bench day?

[quote]T Affliction G wrote:
Pinto wrote:
Iā€™m 260-270 lbs. I get 18-20 at the end of a bench workout or if I go close grip, about 16-18. I like doing them, but my hunch is that they donā€™t do a damn thing for me other than make me better at doing 225 for reps.

Exactly why I hadnā€™t trained them in over a year. I was training a 225 rep mesocycle b/c we had football testing in that particular lift and I wanted to break a record when I got my 34. It didnā€™t really do dick for my max. My max is higher now, but my 225 reps were lower when I tried it again recently. Every couple of weeks I throw and RE day in to mix it up, but not very often. We have the same hunch.[/quote]

Speed/DE. Chains/Bands, varying grips. My RE days are interspersed whenever I feel like shocking myself into some new growth, but I had been doing illegal wides w/ 275 or neutral grip dumbbells. I average an RE day once every two months. Iā€™ll do RE days with back more often, seems to work for me.

can do 9 reps at 85 kilo and 17.