T Nation

Reps and Sets

Hi. My first post here - be nice :slight_smile:

I know different things work for different people etc, but what would you all recommend as decent reps and sets for hypertrophy. What are good reps and sets for raw strength. I have read one article on here but wanted more people’s opinions.

Thanks!

Read this article by Mr. Cressey:

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=674008

Look up the links he provides. A variety of set/rep schemes might be good. Also read Chad Waterbury. His Total Body Training would be good.

[quote]n00b lifter wrote:
Hi. My first post here - be nice :slight_smile:

I know different things work for different people etc, but what would you all recommend as decent reps and sets for hypertrophy. What are good reps and sets for raw strength. I have read one article on here but wanted more people’s opinions.

Thanks![/quote]

Welcome… to be honest with you I wouldnt try and develop a program on your own until you gain the necessary strength and not to mention experience to see what works and what doesnt… the programs here DO work and theres plenty of testiment to that…

Look up Chad Waterbury’s programs especially and pick one that works well for you… Probably “Big Boy Basics” to start and then ABBH I… or “Anti Bodybuilding Hypertrophy Part I”… Good luck…

I’ve read Waterbury’s set/rep bible and this: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459411

Would 6x6 be a good set*rep for hypertrophy? I’m not a beginner to weight training, just put this thread in the beginners section because I thought it was a relatively simple question :slight_smile: My name refers more to my theoretical knowlege than time spent lifting :slight_smile:

Thanks

check out “game plan” and “locked and loaded” by CT

[quote]n00b lifter wrote:
I’ve read Waterbury’s set/rep bible and this: http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459411

Would 6x6 be a good set*rep for hypertrophy? I’m not a beginner to weight training, just put this thread in the beginners section because I thought it was a relatively simple question :slight_smile: My name refers more to my theoretical knowlege than time spent lifting :slight_smile:

Thanks [/quote]

Here’s the kicker - 6x6 is great for functional hypertrophy, but so is 10x3, 7x4, and 5x5.

I believe that volume has more to do with hypertrophy than the rep range. The reps have to be low enough so that you can use >70% of 1RM, but you have to perform enough sets so you get between 24-50 reps per exercise (in general).

Personally, I only use the heavy weights for big compound movements, with assistance work being in the rep range of 8-12.

Experiment with your rep ranges, and find what you respond to best. There are no hard and fast rules that apply to everyone. Do something that works until it doesn’t work any more, then change things around.

Read the following to get a better idea:

Mike Robertson - Creating Designer Athletes
Chad’s Rep Set Bible (read it again and again)

CT also wrote an article on the different training parameters that you can use, but I’ll be buggered if I can remember what it was called. I’ll find out and edit this post for you.
*Edit - Locked and Loaded by CT - An excellent article.