Repping Dead-Stop Deads

Hi all,

I have done my deadlifts with touch n’ go with 5/3/1, but I tend to lose form sometimes with this method. So I decided to do my all my deadlift sets with dead stop for a while.

Not suprisingly, my deadlift numbers fell down. With my old style I did hit 345lb for an easy set of 10 (prob. got even more in me), but with dead stop I get only half the reps. My DL numbers in low rep range are same with both styles, but the repping out is much, much harder for me with dead stop style.

Would I get more benefit from:

A) Lowering my TM (the obvious one, thought I’m already using quite low tm).

B) Do the same weights with lower rep range. Probably my dead-stop style deads would quickly catch up my touch n’ go rep numbers.

Also, just curious. Do dead-stop style lifters here pull high rep sets? Almost all 5/3/1-sets with deads what I have seen has been done with touch n’ go-style.

I bring my deadlifts to a complete stop because I have found that is what lets me keep progressing.

If your bouncy deadlifts work for you, keep going (assuming you’re not a bozo doing that style of deadliift/pendlay row with bumper plates)

I’m not sure that I’d be resetting if I can get over 5 on that last set, you’d be pulling 10+ on the 5a week?

I found this process was a lot like when I abandoned wrist-straps 15 years ago. The dead-stops will catch up - generally sooner rather than later. Give it some time.
FYI - I find touch/goes make me much more sore and I sometimes use them when I feel sadistic as add ons to my final set.
With the others, what starts off being a detractor eventually becomes a strength.
As you start to figure out the importance of form/leverage to the lift, pausing and resetting - without taking your hands off the bar- often makes a world of difference.

Here is a good solution:

Dead stop your main work.
Do 1xFSL with touch/go.

Key is to be consistent with this set up.

The ten rep set was my 3+ week, actually my first week after resetting. I’ll stick with the dead-stop. I’m sure the results will come.

Jims suqqestion is great. Because after couple weeks I’m starting new template with restricted training time per session, so it fits perfectly for me, and gives heavy dead stop work + some muscle work with high rep FSL set.

Thank you for all the answers.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Here is a good solution:

Do 1xFSL with touch/go.

Key is to be consistent with this set up.[/quote]

This looks like the answer to the question I didn’t know I had. Thanks Jim, again.

[quote]dagill2 wrote:

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
Here is a good solution:

Do 1xFSL with touch/go.

Key is to be consistent with this set up.[/quote]

This looks like the answer to the question I didn’t know I had. Thanks Jim, again.[/quote]

You are welcome.