T Nation

Reply to The Heart of the Matter

Dear TC,

I have read your article titled "The Heart of the Matter" and you have mentioned many points that I must agree with. At the very beginning of this past November my mother had a an open-heart surgery. She had her heart scarred by radiation from years ago. Cardiologists had to get rid of the formed seal on her heart,as well as two bypasses that had to be done all in one operation. The diagnosed problems that I just mentioned popped out just recently, however she had heart problems even before we came from Russian which was in 1995. Her first physician in the US diagnosed her with some heart disease that he couln't identify and gave her a dozen of pills to take each day that guided her heart performance. Unfortunately he midiagnozed her heart problems, possibly even making it worse. Doctors are very maticulous about what they say, and malpractice is carefully conceiled before it could even be discovered.
After the surgery, doctors didn't get the results that they expected. They expected her to recover comletely, raising her heart performance from very poor to excellent, it was their realistic goal. Well almost three months later, she is still at the Intensive Care Unit with a feeding tube stuck through her skin to her stomach, breathing machine that breathes for her through the breathing tube that is stuck to her neck, newly developped psychological problems, lung infection, and of course her unstable heart.
Who to blame? It's hard to say. But it is obvious that one of those doctors fucked up. Now her physician is trying to get rid of her by sending her to the rehab, where she cannot be under his supervision, letting go of any responsabilities. I don't get it, how can you send someone from ICU straight to rehab, someone who is barely hanging on to her life.
I know this is long but I must mention this as well. Before anyone puts their loved one into a hospital, please, I urge you, please make sure that nurses are giving their best care to their patients. I spent 24 hours at the hospital with my mother one day and things that I witnessed are hard to describe. I am surprised about how some patients are still alive! "Negligence and laziness" was written on their foreheads. One night, my mom's breathing tube got disconnected three times. I asked for help and got it 10 minutes later, when I figured out how to fix the problem myself. I've witnessed patients laying in their own waste, not getting cleaned up for hours. Their skin is irritated and nurses wondering why. I can go on and on, telling you things that happen down the sickly smelling hospital corridors, that unfortunately need to be reevaluated more thouroughly.
But I would rather conclude my post by mentioning that medicine in today's world, is much more about revenues and profits more than anything alse. Negligence is very common and doctors ignore to realize that they may ruin someone's life along with the one's who care about that someone.

Anastasia

that pisses me the fuck off.

Small hijack

The public health services are geared for curative/repair/damage control.

Exactly like auto mechanics.

No one makes money that much preventing problems. But, damn, there`s always a mechanic willing to make a buck when you DO have problems.

I have nothing against mechanics and doctors. Who could blame them?

Knock-knock-knock.
I have a problem.
Ching-ching! (Cash register sound)

Theyre just following the supply/demand thing or, stated otherwise, they do it that way because thats where the money is.

The only money to be made on the preventive side is in the private sector. For example selling training progams, supplements, etc.

We are far from the Chinese concept of a Doctor. He get`s paid his yearly fee when you have a good year and nothing when you had a bad health year.

(Must be the traditional way and date years back. The buck`s must have put them up-to-date too.)

Just my 2 cents.

End hijack