Replacing Upright Row

For replacing upright row what would you say lateral raise + shrugs?

I train 3 days a week

Would these 3 be sufficient for my shoulders?

day 1 : seated dumbbell press

day 2 : standing military press

day 3 : standing lateral raise + standing dumbbell shrugs

Lateral raises and shrugs will train the same muscles as an upright row

Why the switch?

Because I see a lot of people arguing that upright row is inherently bad for shoulders due to internal rotation

Are you finding issues with your shoulder health due to upright rows?

2 Likes

Thankfully currently no
But I have golfers elbow problem

Do you want your shoulders to look awesome or to press a ton of weight?

If the former, I’d recommend dropping one of your two overhead pressing choices and do rear delts on the machine until the lactic acid buildup makes you vomit!

2 Likes

Hang and swing destroyer sets are awesome here too.

2 Likes

Absolutely

Widening the grip negates some of the potential shoulder issues, as does stopping parallel to the shoulder itself.

3 Likes

Internal rotation isn’t necessarily bad. It’s like a normal function of your shoulders. Sometimes as you get Muscle Bound or old you lose your internal rotation ROM.

Your shoulders go into internal rotation during the upright row. If you have the ROM/flexibility, it’s no problem. If you lack that ability to move into internal rotation, and do upright rows, you can grind your shoulders up.

Swapping out moves is totally cool, but don’t neglect your internal rotation. You don’t want lose it!

As for replacements, do forget about Lu Raises and rear delt rows.

2 Likes

IMO you need more rear delt work and direct trap work - I like rear delt flyes and cable-face pulls for these, respectively. you’ve got DB press and Military press, which target primarily the same muscles and is a bit unnecessary for hypertrophy.

Most trainers would recommend keeping some of those “riskier” exercises isn’t a problem so long as you aren’t in pain from it. If Lat Pulldowns behind the neck aren’t hurting your shoulders - there is no reason not to do them
 I believe this thinking should apply to your upright row as well.

1 Like

Wide Grip Upright Rows have an almost steroid like effect on the traps. If you want big traps then you have to do these man. They are awesome

2 Likes

I’ve tried incorporating these into my regimen a few times and it never really felt right
 I watched the CT video and read the article, it just never felt like it had enough stimulation with explosives - and doing them with hypertrophy style has me using some ridiculously low weight.

Do you perform yours explosive or more hypertrophy style? if the latter, do you recall your weights being quite light when you first started?

basically you dont have a problem
 you created one because others had it?

3 Likes

Yeah @Andrewgen_Receptors mate my weight was light however reps were 20+

Not a big deal man. Going to failure gets those bad boys jacked.

The weight has shot up since doing 350 method .

2 Likes

maybe its just me with my shit genetics and “nothing matters” approach because i might not know what im doing, but
 do people really notice visible growth if they switch the exercises in the “correct” manner?
Cuz i dont
 i believe my body doesnt give a fuck if i train rear this or side that, or upper/lower chest or inner thigh or smth

I have never seen an exercise make a difference. At all.

1 Like

I get this with behind the neck press. A load of people told me to stop as it would hurt my shoulders. I decided to stop - if / when it started to hurt my shoulder. For now I’m good.

1 Like

If an exercise is common to cause people issues and could potentially be a poor choice for a joint, and it doesn’t matter what exercise you choose for said muscle
 then why wouldn’t you swap to something else

3 Likes

eh I think it’s a bit of semantics with a bit of immeasurable ‘by feel’ sprinkled on top.

I’ve been educating myself on different training methods quite a bit since I started here and have a few conflicting opinions that I haven’t sorted out just yet. Was going to go more into detail but I don’t think it’s necessary
 I can say that for ME, certain movements provide better results than others. They typically align with general concensus on ‘best movements for x muscle’ but differ sometimes.

I think the answer to your question would change from one person to the next - it appears exercise selection doesn’t do much for you and thats great! For me (example), I see no results with flat bench whatsoever - so I do incline and have reasonably well developed pecs. I wanted to see the separation between the upper pecs and rest of the muscle, so I did reverse-grip bench for a few weeks - and I saw the separation.
In these ways, it seems very individualized.

DC Training kind of aligns with your beliefs (to my understanding) that the exercise is kind of irrelevant as long as youre moving some heavy ass weight and beating the logbook.

EDIT: +1 to what @wanna_be said. I didn’t consider injuries, but yes - some exercises are incredibly injury prone while others are far safer versions.

1 Like

Seeing that I don’t switch. Here is why:

• Because its not causing me any issues.
  • Because the risk reward is worth it

If its not broke, do not fix it.

2 Likes