Replacing Normal Squats with Box Squats?

so i do squats but recently been trying out box squats, just using a bench instead of the box. i wanted to try it because i get dizzy and lightheaded doing regular squats and it keeps me from training the muscles as hard i want.

so i tried box squats and could use waaay more weight, like 120 kg for 10 reps compared to 95 for 10 reps normal. the possible reason is that since i use a bench, i am not able to come exactly at parallel, it’s a little above, will this be bad for building strength and muscle?

calling my squat form bad would be a compliment as i lean way to much forward, so that might be the reason i can use so little weight and also get lightheaded compared to box squats, i dunno anyone else get this too?

anyone else here do box squats instead of normal ones? is it wise?

I would guess either you have some sort of physical problem or you aren’t breathing right. Try exhaling SLIGHTLY at the top of the lift and resetting your air every rep.

You can do more on the box squat for 3 possible reasons:

1. The box is too high
  2. You aren’t box squatting right
  3. You aren’t free squatting right

If you are a raw lifter that plans on competing, I would recommend free squatting. If you don’t plan on ever competing, or you are a geared lifter, then the box would probably benefit you assuming you are using it right.

My advice is to work on your breathing and controlling your torso pressure, and correct your technique on your free squat.

I would guess that the bench is too high for you. I’m 6’2" and the bench is too high for me

I would figure out why you get light headed from squats instead.

[quote]Chris87 wrote:
I would guess that the bench is too high for you. I’m 6’2" and the bench is too high for me[/quote]
well yes, i can’t hit parallel on it, approx one inch or so above.

[quote]Johnny T Frisk wrote:
I would figure out why you get light headed from squats instead.[/quote]
that would be very nice to find out yes…

thats the main reason why i want to do box squats, i don’t feel the lightheadedness doing them, which makes me able to push myself till my muscles tire, like any other exercise and not feel like i am in hell.

[quote]GruntOrama wrote:
I would guess either you have some sort of physical problem or you aren’t breathing right. Try exhaling SLIGHTLY at the top of the lift and resetting your air every rep.

You can do more on the box squat for 3 possible reasons:

1. The box is too high
  2. You aren’t box squatting right
  3. You aren’t free squatting right

If you are a raw lifter that plans on competing, I would recommend free squatting. If you don’t plan on ever competing, or you are a geared lifter, then the box would probably benefit you assuming you are using it right.

My advice is to work on your breathing and controlling your torso pressure, and correct your technique on your free squat.[/quote]

problem 1 and 3 most likely apply to me. because i have anterior hip tilt which is what makes me bend so much forward, and because i use a bench and not a box, which is a too high, but only an inch or maybe a couple.

i do freesquat for a month then do box for a month.

in the last month ive added 20lbs to my max.

I always get light headed from squats, so I don’t see a problem with it. I generally lose my hearing for a good minute and can’t hear shit, as well. It’s part of the game.

CS

[quote]CSEagles1694 wrote:
I always get light headed from squats, so I don’t see a problem with it. I generally lose my hearing for a good minute and can’t hear shit, as well. It’s part of the game.

CS[/quote]
I get lightheaded too.

ultra, either you’re box squatting wrong; relaxing the wrong muscles or letting air out when you sit back or you’re free squatting wrong.

As for your question about switching over to box squats, I don’t have much experience with it, and it all depends on your goals. I would fix whatever problem you may or may not have first.

CS[/quote]

Yeah I get this after any main lift like I’ll hit my set, get up and just be so out of it my partner can’t even talk to me

[quote]PlainPat wrote:

CS[/quote]

Yeah I get this after any main lift like I’ll hit my set, get up and just be so out of it my partner can’t even talk to me[/quote]

I always keep some type of receptacle nearby in case I have to spew.

CS

Squat till you get 200kg for 10 then retest box squats, I bet they will increase your squat at least 105kg

A normal bench is WAY too high. go for something 12-14" if you’re very tall (6’2"+ depending on levers)

Take this for what its worth, but big weight is scary. maybe you are afraid to free squat that much weight. Do you trust your spotters/power rack?

There is no good reason to box squat more than you free squat. Post a video if you really want to get some help.

[quote]VTTrainer wrote:
A normal bench is WAY too high. go for something 12-14" if you’re very tall (6’2"+ depending on levers)

Take this for what its worth, but big weight is scary. maybe you are afraid to free squat that much weight. Do you trust your spotters/power rack?

There is no good reason to box squat more than you free squat. Post a video if you really want to get some help.[/quote] yeah i think i might try to make my own box instead of using the bench, that way i can stand in my rack too and not be totally fucked if i fail a rep.