T Nation

Replacement for Pulldowns?

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and weight lifting.
I'm following the big boy basics program from Chad Waterbury.
Here are my 2 questions:

1) Is this a good program to start with? Or should i use another program?
2) I would like to replace the pull-ups or pulldowns with another exercise using barbell or dumbells. Suggestions?

thnx alot.

I'm not familiar with the program, but why not use pulldowns or pull-ups?

I don't think you're going to find a good barbell-exercise replacement.

It isn't really a program, more a set of logic. http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/big_boy_basics

It goes like this:
1) Frequency
2) Weekly Workout Plan
3) Exercise Selection
4) Set/Rep Volume
5) Training Intensity
6) Method Cycling
7) Antagonist Exercise Selection
8) Lifting Tempo

Explains each of them, and tells you to go from there. It is a good set of rules to follow, for a beginner.

You can do dumbell-pullovers, but they are not a true replacement for pull-ups.

It's fine for beginners. Chad mentioned it a few times in the article, as well as in the discussion thread afterwards.

You'd like to? Like to? No.

If we're talking about what you'd like to do versus what's effective, you're going to set the stage for excuses to find an easier way out. Less challenging exercises, lighter weights, higher reps, etc. A slippery path, my friend, and not one you'll find help with here.

But if we're talking about how you need to do a different exercise because you don't have access to the right equipment... then it's a valid issue. And in that case, I'd go with hang cleans. The idea is to have some kind of vertical pulling exercise, and cleans (or possibly a snatch) would be the only close free weight alternative.

Pullovers might also work, but with the lower rep ranges that this program calls for, they wouldn't be at the top of my list.

Except for the sample weekly plan at the end of the article. :wink:

^ What he said.

It's what you said chris.

I exercise at home, but i dont have the equipment to do pullovers.
Only thing i have is a bench + rack and barbell and dumbbells, and for that reason i am looking for a replacement for pulldowns.

Another option then, since you've got a power rack, would be to put the bar on one of the higher pin settings and use it as a makeshift pull-up bar, kinda like in the pic above.

Yes i'm gonna do this exercise right away!!

Thnx for the help chris!!