T Nation

Replace the VP Debate Moderator

Gwen Ifill is planned to be the VP debate moderator, but there are calls for her to be replaced because of this book she just released;

It’s titled “The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.”

Not only is it a conflict of interest on personal bias, she has a financial interest in selling more books if Obama gets elected.

Wonder if she is on the prep team working with Biden?

Who is really neutral anyway?

Aren’t the campaigns getting the questions before hand?

Don’t the campaigns have the right to reject any question? (I’m not positive on that, but I think they do).

Also, they will both be asked the same questions.

Where could her bias come in?

Mufasa

http://delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080921/NEWS/80921006/1006

The moderator can use her “discretion” on what questions to ask and from what topics to select from.

I cannot find any reference to the candidates recieving the questions before the debate or having the ability to reject questions. (at least the Republicans can’t)

The ground rules were only recently set.

Her bias will come in based on the questions she asked and the manner in which she treats Palin as opposed to Biden. Think of it as a job interview between two candidates. One you already decided to hire and one you despise to the core. Do you think the interview would go well for the one you despise, particularly if you know your actions will not be criticized and in fact will be endorsed by those who are in a postion to do so.

If that isn’t enough she stands to profit from increased book sales if her candidate wins in November, if that candidate loses her book will most likely tank. Do you think she has the integrity to not influence the debate?

I don’t think Brokaw, Leher, etc. are as suspect as Ifill.

Well, look at the positive side. The McCain camp has an excuse ready for Palin’s poor performance.

H:

The campaigns will be getting the questions beforehand (I’ll try to find a link that tells it).

Don’t you think that an obvious bias and unfairness to Palin will come through; and will absolutely backfire in terms of the additional support she will get from all the voters who adore her?

I would be willing to bet that the McCain campaign “hopes” that Biden and Ifill will come off biased, unfair and condescending.

Mufasa

H:

I may have just read about the questions being given beforehand on a BLOG or something. I can’t find all the official rules.

The only bias that can come in is that Ifill can mix both domestic and foreign policy questions; BUT she cannot “hound” a candidate on a single question.

Both campaigns DID have to agree to all the ground rules; and they both appear to be satisfied.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
H:

The campaigns will be getting the questions beforehand (I’ll try to find a link that tells it).

Don’t you think that an obvious bias and unfairness to Palin will come through; and will absolutely backfire in terms of the additional support she will get from all the voters who adore her?

I would be willing to bet that the McCain campaign “hopes” that Biden and Ifill will come off biased, unfair and condescending.

Mufasa[/quote]

I don’t think it will backfire on her if she shows blatant bias. I don’t the MSM would even take notice and the lefties will applaud her for it.

The voters who adore her are already planning on voting for her so I don’t know if it garners additional support. It would probably just reinforce their opinion of the media.

I’d prefer a nuetral moderator in any event not a controversial one like Ifill.

from michelle malkin’s latest post:

Ask the Commission on Presidential Debates if she will acknowledge her conflict of interest: 202-872-1020.

And here’s the e-mail address of Janet H. Brown, Executive Director of the Debates Commission: jb@debates.org

“Sarah Palin [should] open her debate remarks by congratulating Ifill on her book and asking her to tell everyone the title.”

She goes on to ask a very good question:

“Can you imagine a right-leaning journalist writing a book about the “stunning” McCain campaign and its “bold” path to reform timed for release on Inauguration Day - and then expecting a slot as a moderator for the nation�??s sole vice presidential debate?”

http://michellemalkin.com/2008/09/30/a-debate-“moderator”-in-the-tank-for-obama/

The feeling must have been “PBS=Impartial”.

Agree.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing Lehrer again.

Mufasa

[quote]Mufasa wrote:
The feeling must have been “PBS=Impartial”.

Agree.

I wouldn’t have minded seeing Lehrer again.

Mufasa[/quote]

I agree Mufasa, I mind him much less.

I don’t care who moderates, but I am really concerned that the McCain people did not do their homework. I wonder what else they won’t carefully scrutinize.

The alternative is that they knew about this book all along and thought they could use that information to their advantage.

[quote]pwilliams wrote:
Gwen Ifill is planned to be the VP debate moderator, but there are calls for her to be replaced because of this book she just released;

It’s titled “The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.”

Not only is it a conflict of interest on personal bias, she has a financial interest in selling more books if Obama gets elected.
[/quote]

I can actually see her selling more books if Obama doesn’t get elected. As far as her being biased, anyone that replaces her can be seen as biased as well. Any man could be seen to be siding with the man and any woman can be seen to be siding with the woman or be seen to be resentful of the woman. Anybody can be spun to seem biased against Palin if someone does it right. I think that it is a little too late to change now because that can be spun in saying that Palin is not ready or scared. Bringing up a change of any kind at this point could backfire just as easily as it could benefit.

[quote]ALDurr wrote:
pwilliams wrote:
Gwen Ifill is planned to be the VP debate moderator, but there are calls for her to be replaced because of this book she just released;

It’s titled “The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.”

Not only is it a conflict of interest on personal bias, she has a financial interest in selling more books if Obama gets elected.

I can actually see her selling more books if Obama doesn’t get elected. As far as her being biased, anyone that replaces her can be seen as biased as well. Any man could be seen to be siding with the man and any woman can be seen to be siding with the woman or be seen to be resentful of the woman. Anybody can be spun to seem biased against Palin if someone does it right. I think that it is a little too late to change now because that can be spun in saying that Palin is not ready or scared. Bringing up a change of any kind at this point could backfire just as easily as it could benefit.[/quote]

Dude - do you have a wife? A girlfriend? Sisters? How you can think for a second that a woman would side with another woman in a public setting?

I have been married for almost 17 years, and have a teenaged daughter. I can count on one hand the number of female “friends” my wife and daughter really have.

Women are the most catty, territorial, vindictive, hateful creations on God’s earth when they are in the company of other women.

But I could be wrong.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
ALDurr wrote:
pwilliams wrote:
Gwen Ifill is planned to be the VP debate moderator, but there are calls for her to be replaced because of this book she just released;

It’s titled “The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.”

Not only is it a conflict of interest on personal bias, she has a financial interest in selling more books if Obama gets elected.

I can actually see her selling more books if Obama doesn’t get elected. As far as her being biased, anyone that replaces her can be seen as biased as well. Any man could be seen to be siding with the man and any woman can be seen to be siding with the woman or be seen to be resentful of the woman. Anybody can be spun to seem biased against Palin if someone does it right. I think that it is a little too late to change now because that can be spun in saying that Palin is not ready or scared. Bringing up a change of any kind at this point could backfire just as easily as it could benefit.

Dude - do you have a wife? A girlfriend? Sisters? How you can think for a second that a woman would side with another woman in a public setting?

I have been married for almost 17 years, and have a teenaged daughter. I can count on one hand the number of female “friends” my wife and daughter really have.

Women are the most catty, territorial, vindictive, hateful creations on God’s earth when they are in the company of other women.

But I could be wrong. [/quote]

I have told you before that I was married. I understand all too well how catty women can be. If you read what I wrote, I said it could go either way. Either the woman is catty or the woman looks at another woman and see her fighting the male-dominated system and decides to support her. The one thing that I do know about women is that you can’t predict ANYTHING they will do. However, if I was to place a bet, I would go with catty long before supportive, UNLESS it looks like the man in the room is being a bully. Then it becomes gang up on the man time. I’ve seen that happen before as well.

[quote]ALDurr wrote:
rainjack wrote:
ALDurr wrote:
pwilliams wrote:
Gwen Ifill is planned to be the VP debate moderator, but there are calls for her to be replaced because of this book she just released;

It’s titled “The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.”

Not only is it a conflict of interest on personal bias, she has a financial interest in selling more books if Obama gets elected.

I can actually see her selling more books if Obama doesn’t get elected. As far as her being biased, anyone that replaces her can be seen as biased as well. Any man could be seen to be siding with the man and any woman can be seen to be siding with the woman or be seen to be resentful of the woman. Anybody can be spun to seem biased against Palin if someone does it right. I think that it is a little too late to change now because that can be spun in saying that Palin is not ready or scared. Bringing up a change of any kind at this point could backfire just as easily as it could benefit.

Dude - do you have a wife? A girlfriend? Sisters? How you can think for a second that a woman would side with another woman in a public setting?

I have been married for almost 17 years, and have a teenaged daughter. I can count on one hand the number of female “friends” my wife and daughter really have.

Women are the most catty, territorial, vindictive, hateful creations on God’s earth when they are in the company of other women.

But I could be wrong.

I have told you before that I was married. I understand all too well how catty women can be. If you read what I wrote, I said it could go either way. Either the woman is catty or the woman looks at another woman and see her fighting the male-dominated system and decides to support her. The one thing that I do know about women is that you can’t predict ANYTHING they will do. However, if I was to place a bet, I would go with catty long before supportive, UNLESS it looks like the man in the room is being a bully. Then it becomes gang up on the man time. I’ve seen that happen before as well.[/quote]

It was a rhetorical question, Al.

I have never seen it turn out good. That’s probably because, since I am so fucking sexy, my wife is in constant property defense mode.

Almost as bad as baby defense mode. Don’t EVEN want to talk about that. But my wife will get her court mandated ankle braclet off in February, if all goes well.

[quote]rainjack wrote:
ALDurr wrote:
rainjack wrote:
ALDurr wrote:
pwilliams wrote:
Gwen Ifill is planned to be the VP debate moderator, but there are calls for her to be replaced because of this book she just released;

It’s titled “The Breakthrough: Politics and Race in the Age of Obama.”

Not only is it a conflict of interest on personal bias, she has a financial interest in selling more books if Obama gets elected.

I can actually see her selling more books if Obama doesn’t get elected. As far as her being biased, anyone that replaces her can be seen as biased as well. Any man could be seen to be siding with the man and any woman can be seen to be siding with the woman or be seen to be resentful of the woman. Anybody can be spun to seem biased against Palin if someone does it right. I think that it is a little too late to change now because that can be spun in saying that Palin is not ready or scared. Bringing up a change of any kind at this point could backfire just as easily as it could benefit.

Dude - do you have a wife? A girlfriend? Sisters? How you can think for a second that a woman would side with another woman in a public setting?

I have been married for almost 17 years, and have a teenaged daughter. I can count on one hand the number of female “friends” my wife and daughter really have.

Women are the most catty, territorial, vindictive, hateful creations on God’s earth when they are in the company of other women.

But I could be wrong.

I have told you before that I was married. I understand all too well how catty women can be. If you read what I wrote, I said it could go either way. Either the woman is catty or the woman looks at another woman and see her fighting the male-dominated system and decides to support her. The one thing that I do know about women is that you can’t predict ANYTHING they will do. However, if I was to place a bet, I would go with catty long before supportive, UNLESS it looks like the man in the room is being a bully. Then it becomes gang up on the man time. I’ve seen that happen before as well.

It was a rhetorical question, Al.

I have never seen it turn out good. That’s probably because, since I am so fucking sexy, my wife is in constant property defense mode.

Almost as bad as baby defense mode. Don’t EVEN want to talk about that. But my wife will get her court mandated ankle braclet off in February, if all goes well.

[/quote]

I understand fully. It’s hard motherfucking work being such a sexy bastard! It wears me out every day. I feel your pain.

Whoa!

I’m hearing FAR too many people saying “WTF is UP with McCain and his campaign; is he STUPID???”

Not hardly.

If there is ANYTHING I’ve learned over the past 2 months or so, its that McCain is a VERY smart and shrewd Politician.

He knows who is Moderating; he knows about the book.

(Don’t read furthur if you think I’m sounding like a broken record):

I have a feeling that after 26 years in the Senate, McCain knows Biden VERY well; and is counting on him, (with the help of Ifill), to come off as brutal, condescending and unfair to Palin. (In addition to “Killer Joe” getting off on some bizarre rant).

It that happens?

Ka’Chow…another spot on tailhook for Lt. Commander McCain.

Mufasa

This is absurd.

CBS’s Bob Schieffer, a personal friend of GW Bush, moderated a debate in 2004.

Tom Brokaw, the NBC liaison to John McCain’s presidential campaign, is moderating the Oct 7 Presidential debate.

I’d call it fairly even and move on.