Repayment of Unemployment?

OK shitty situation going on here…I live in Michigan. My wife had 2 jobs. In her full time job she made good money and was there for 2 years. She then got a part time job at a gym making a small amount just for some extra income and a free membership. She was only at this job for approximately 6 weeks, worked less than 10 hours a week - so less than $100 a week…

She then learned she was being laid off from her full time job. Obviously the part time job was pretty much worthless with the money she made and they couldn’t give her the hours to make it a full time job…so she quit this job before ever filing for unemployment.

She then qualified for the maximum funds for unemployment. She has been unemployed for over a year now, everything was going good. However, yesterday we get a letter in the mail saying there has been a mistake and since she quit her job, she does not qualify. Keep in mind, the job she quit was a gym working part time, not her primary full time job who she was with for 2 years. They are saying we have to repay everything that was ever given to her and she’s been unemployed for over a year like i said above. Do the math, we’re talking over $15,000 here.

Of course we’re protesting/appealing this case because there seems to be some mixup. They seem to think she’s trying to get unemployment from the gym, not her full time job. The gym suddenly received papers last week and rejected the claim saying she quit. Have any of you ever dealt with anything like this?

[quote]jlutz3 wrote:
OK shitty situation going on here…I live in Michigan. My wife had 2 jobs. In her full time job she made good money and was there for 2 years. She then got a part time job at a gym making a small amount just for some extra income and a free membership. She was only at this job for approximately 6 weeks, worked less than 10 hours a week - so less than $100 a week…

She then learned she was being laid off from her full time job. Obviously the part time job was pretty much worthless with the money she made and they couldn’t give her the hours to make it a full time job…so she quit this job before ever filing for unemployment.

She then qualified for the maximum funds for unemployment. She has been unemployed for over a year now, everything was going good. However, yesterday we get a letter in the mail saying there has been a mistake and since she quit her job, she does not qualify. Keep in mind, the job she quit was a gym working part time, not her primary full time job who she was with for 2 years. They are saying we have to repay everything that was ever given to her and she’s been unemployed for over a year like i said above. Do the math, we’re talking over $15,000 here.

Of course we’re protesting/appealing this case because there seems to be some mixup. They seem to think she’s trying to get unemployment from the gym, not her full time job. The gym suddenly received papers last week and rejected the claim saying she quit. Have any of you ever dealt with anything like this?

[/quote]

Yes. Sadly it’s more common than it should be where I live. Both me and my friends have had to go to the appeals office for this and other reasons. We’ve never lost.

Wow, and here if they were underpaying you and you found out, you would not get a cent from them.

So you appealed and won huh? That is great! Believe me, the amount of stress these past 24 hours has been crazy. You saying you won when you went to appeal gives me confidence…

We just bought our first home too. We close 2 weeks from today…In my research on the internet today I’ve read instances where the State intercepts the $8000 home tax credit.

The shitty thing about this is no one will speak to you over the phone…they need everything in writing, faxed in…then you just wait. FUCK!

thanks for your input man.

[quote]jlutz3 wrote:
So you appealed and won huh? That is great! Believe me, the amount of stress these past 24 hours has been crazy. You saying you won when you went to appeal gives me confidence…

We just bought our first home too. We close 2 weeks from today…In my research on the internet today I’ve read instances where the State intercepts the $8000 home tax credit.

The shitty thing about this is no one will speak to you over the phone…they need everything in writing, faxed in…then you just wait. FUCK!

thanks for your input man.[/quote]

You’re welcome.

Yes, there were 2 different situations. My friend was fired and when he applied it was denied because the employer lied and said he quit. They do that to see if they can get away with it around here. Jersey’s corrupt.

In my case, I left the state for a couple days and it came to their attention because I missed a meeting that I forgot about. They denied me 2 weeks of pay because I couldn’t possibly be looking for work while was out of state. I appealed and won. They’ll try to fuck you for whatever they can because enough people accept it and don’t appeal.