Reparations for Slavery..

Lets just say reparations for slavery were paid out. What do you think the end result would be? Would black people be better off, worse off? Would home ownership go up and fix the housing bubble? Would the money have to be printed?

sure lets give the money to the “slaves”,not the people looking for a free handout.

[quote]jawara wrote:
Lets just say reparations for slavery were paid out. What do you think the end result would be? Would black people be better off, worse off? Would home ownership go up and fix the housing bubble? Would the money have to be printed? [/quote]

Reparations?

for what?

[quote]toejam wrote:
sure lets give the money to the “slaves”,not the people looking for a free handout.[/quote]

Exactly

Dave Chappelle covered it.

[quote]jawara wrote:
Lets just say reparations for slavery were paid out. What do you think the end result would be? Would black people be better off, worse off? Would home ownership go up and fix the housing bubble? Would the money have to be printed? [/quote]

There were some slave reparations paid out in New England in the 1780’s and 90’s. You tell me how it worked out.

mike

Some white dudes got eaten by jungle cannibals about 200 years ago…where’s my cheddar???

Without googling up any polls, I’m going to go out on a limb here and assert that the marjority (if not VAST majority) of blacks could care less about this issue.

Before we even consider giving giving blacks any kind of Reparations lets help out the people that have been royally fucked by the the United States government since day one. The Native Americans. And No,Reservations doesn’t count. It doesn’t even really scratch the surface.

[quote]jawara wrote:

What would the reparations to be paid out be? Cash? Land?

[quote]baretta wrote:
Some white dudes got eaten by jungle cannibals about 200 years ago…where’s my cheddar???[/quote]

[i]The social stigma against cannibalism has been used as an aspect of propaganda against an enemy by accusing them of acts of cannibalism to separate them from their humanity. The Carib tribe in the Lesser Antilles, for example, acquired a longstanding reputation as cannibals following the recording of their legends by Fr. Breton in the 17th century. Some controversy exists over the accuracy of these legends and the prevalence of actual cannibalism in the culture.

According to a decree by Queen Isabella I of Castile and also later under British colonial rule, slavery was considered to be illegal unless the people involved were so depraved that their conditions as slaves would be better than as free men. This legal requirement may have led to conquerors exaggerating the extent of cannibalistic practices, or inventing them altogether, as demonstrations of cannibalistic tendencies were considered evidence of such depravity.[/i]

Alan Keyes proposed a plan for reparations that would have made african americans exempt from federal income taxes for a given amount of time (a few years I think). I would have no problem with that.

who would pay the reparations?
my family never utilized slaves, my predecessors immigrated to the US in 1895-1896.
so if the “government” was to pay reparations, whose money would they use? only people whose ancestors owned slaves?

as for exemption of federal income tax, the rest of the population will be made to pay the difference (unless of course the government employees are willing to take a drastic pay-cut).

why give present blacks “anything”, like i said before i’ll give money to the SLAVES noone else, then you’re gonna have to throw in a hole slew of other people.our government sure screwed alot of people over.

How about the africans that had their fellow africans shipped off to slavery? Will their descendants be accountable too?

1. you cannot pay reparations to the kin of slaves without enslaving someone else to pay for it.

2. There are no former slaves still living so who is to be repaid?

On the other hand, the Asmat’s reputation is completely deserved.

[quote]lixy wrote:
baretta wrote:
Some white dudes got eaten by jungle cannibals about 200 years ago…where’s my cheddar???

The social stigma against cannibalism has been used as an aspect of propaganda against an enemy by accusing them of acts of cannibalism to separate them from their humanity. The Carib tribe in the Lesser Antilles, for example, acquired a longstanding reputation as cannibals following the recording of their legends by Fr. Breton in the 17th century. Some controversy exists over the accuracy of these legends and the prevalence of actual cannibalism in the culture.[/quote]

The counterpoint to this are the various tribes of Sumatra, Maluku, and Indonesian New Guinea (Irian Jaya) who most definitely were, and in some cases still are, cannibalistic.

Before their nominal conversion to Christianity, the Batak of Northern Sumatra were the most notable cannibals of Southeast Asia, well into the 19th century. Criminals and prisoners-of-war constituted the bulk of their two-legged entrees: the victim was typically bound to a stake, carved up and eaten alive by everyone in the village.

The Asmat of southwestern Irian Jaya were the last to be converted to Christianity (it’s interesting to note that all of the animist cannibals of Indonesia were converted to Christianity and not Islam, presumably because Islam would not allow them to eat pork, which is the next best thing to human flesh. Not for nothing are the men of enemy tribes referred to as babi panjang: long pigs), and so the last ones to give up their cannibalistic ways.

Not that they have, completely. These are the folks that captured, killed and ate Michael Rockefeller, son of Vice President Nelson Rockefeller, back in 1961.

An Asmat chieftain was once asked what human flesh tasted like, and how it compared to such things as pork or fish. According to this man, the toasted larvae of the giant Capricorn beetle bear the closest resemblance, in taste and texture, to human brains. As for the flesh itself, evidently there are some ethnic differences.

“Our own flesh,” the man explained, “is too tough. The Malay is too sweet, and the white man is too salty.” His face then softened into an expression of pleasure. “But the Chinese… is perfectly delicious.”

Good to know.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
Alan Keyes proposed a plan for reparations that would have made african americans exempt from federal income taxes for a given amount of time (a few years I think). I would have no problem with that. [/quote]

This might cause a stir, but most African Americans are already in the lowest tax brackets which don’t pay taxes anyway. Many of them already get refunds from the earned income credit for money they never had withheld in the first place.

as a black dude, I dont give a fuck about reparattions.

I didnt do that work, I dont deserve to be paid for it, ask any black person and get their honest thoughts they’ll tell you the same thing

nobody is looking for a handout here

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
as a black dude, I dont give a fuck about reparations.

I didnt do that work, I dont deserve to be paid for it, ask any black person and get their honest thoughts they’ll tell you the same thing

nobody is looking for a handout here[/quote]

I agree…hard work and success in America will fulfill what reparations cannot.