T Nation

Repairing Skin on Hands

I figured there would be plenty here with experience. Tore skin off the inside of my thumb doing snatches. I have kept it covered while lifting. Anybody know any tricks to: get it to heal faster? protect it while training?

I know several baseball pitchers who use tea tree oil to callus/harden up blisters they get on their fingers. Not sure how it would work in your situation, but may be worth looking into.

Generally, I just get some standard white, athletic tape, tape over it, and go.

I could not find athletic tape at the grocery store, ended up buying a crinkly self-sticking over bandage that works pretty good. Collected the ooze just fine.

Milk and squat.

Maybe a little lite ayer of super glue. Good tape is better.

-chris

Try friars balsam…hurts like hell for a few seconds but it will seal up the wound so it won’t be so tender when you grip the bar.

JS

[quote]Avocado wrote:
Maybe a little lite ayer of super glue. Good tape is better.

-chris[/quote]

Super glue is da bomb when it comes to covering up deep cut and tears. Don’t worry about the possible posioning bs. You’ll only use it till your hand closes up and it will be quick.

Beeswax is good to prevent calluses from tearing, climbers use it on their hands. Athletic tape is helpful, and you might want to put a blister band-aid like compeed on it.

I shaved my callouses down with a callous shaver.
I lifted for many years but started snatching kettlebells and nothing will tear callouses like snatching heavy.

take athletic tape cut about an 15 inch strip and loop it around your middle finger and have the two straps go past the bend in your wrist. the tape should cover the calloused sections that have torn, do it for your two middle fingers. drape several layers, or at least two. Then wrap some around your wrist like where a watch would be to secure it. Mark Reifkind, an RKC wrote the article I read about it, and used it.

When you have an actual tear, use new skin to cover the raw skin for a couple of days until it gets a chance to heal. An alternate more painful method is to use crazy glue. let it harden, then use a nail file and file it down even with your surrounding skin. rinse and repeat until it has built up some. keep it covered until healed.

good luck

In the last year I have begun extensive work with gymnastics rings, so my skin rips on a weekly basis.

b12 made some great recommendations, which is quite similar to what I do.

Preventative:

• moisturize on a daily basis. A small layer before applying chalk (if you use it) will also help.
  • file down callusses whenever you can
  • do not let small tears of skin left untreated. Cut, sand, moisturize

When cut:

• cut all loose skin and slightly into the new skin.
  • wash wound, apply neosporin or alternative.
  • Nuskin works for small tears/wounds, but I also prefer the athletic tape method. Let’s face it, we want to work out the next day…it’s a good solution.
  • When healing occurs and skin starts to thicken…sand it (with sandpaper) to even the surface. This will help prevent another tear from forming in the same place.
  • Moisturize. Yes, a beeswax formula works well. There are salves for rock climbing that work well also.

Best of luck

In the last year I have begun extensive work with gymnastics rings, so my skin rips on a weekly basis.

b12 made some great recommendations, which is quite similar to what I do.

Preventative:

• moisturize on a daily basis. A small layer before applying chalk (if you use it) will also help.
  • file down callusses whenever you can
  • do not let small tears of skin left untreated. Cut, sand, moisturize

When cut:

• cut all loose skin and slightly into the new skin.
  • wash wound, apply neosporin or alternative.
  • Nuskin works for small tears/wounds, but I also prefer the athletic tape method. Let’s face it, we want to work out the next day…it’s a good solution.
  • When healing occurs and skin starts to thicken…sand it (with sandpaper) to even the surface. This will help prevent another tear from forming in the same place.
  • Moisturize. Yes, a beeswax formula works well. There are salves for rock climbing that work well also.

Best of luck

If the skin rips while training, pat a bit of chalk into it - it will hurt like hell for a moment but it will dry it right out and you should be able to carry on. Long term, applying surgical spirit to vulnerable areas will help to harden them up. Some great ideas here though - never heard of putting glue on it while it heals, might have to try that next time a callus rips!

Buy stuff called New Skin. Put athletic tape over that. It will burn badly on an open wound though.

Wow, thanks for all the great advice. I have pretty much healed up now but will keep this all in mind for the next time.