T Nation

Rep/Set Preferences - Ramping or Straight Sets?

What do you all prefer ramping to a top set of your given rep range for an exercise i.e

100x8
135x8
165x7
185x6

Or warming up with 2-3 sets and using straight sets

100x8
135x8

170 3x 6-8 reps

I generally favour doing multiple straight sets with the same weight, an exception to this would be obviously if I’m testing a rep max or possibly looking to ‘peak’ for a 1RM attempt.

I’m not sure why you’re asking about this as an either/or question.

Frequently, I’ll see and have done where on the first main exercise you ramp up to a top set. This could mean working up to a hard to max 5-8. Or it could mean working up in sets of 5 to your goal weight and repping it out for a hard to max 5 or more reps.

Then for the rest of the exercises, choosing straight sets. Occasionally including more intense methods to break through a plateau.

Both. Just have to match RPE with weight selection.

a little from column A, a little from column B.

Both

(adding nothing to the conversation).

I’m certainly not saying one isn’t worth doing, but my personal approach has always been working up my warmup sets, adding weight, getting a good feel but not straining at all, and then taking my working weight for a ride in the prescribed rep range for several straight sets. Nothing overly complicated, just doing my best to maintain tension for the alloted time frame.

S

Keep in mind that are many other rep schemes.

One I like a lot it picking say 50 reps for example. My goal is to get it down to 5 sets, but I might start with 7 sets to reach my rep goal.

So for chins this could look like:

Next week:

Once my reps are done in 5 sets, add 5-10lb.