Rep Scheme

Is it possible to train for strength and hypertrophy in the same session or should I keep them grouped together in each workout? For example, can I do varying rep schemes (5,10,15…) for different exercises or should I keep a common rep scheme for each workout? My goals are really just to reduce body fat while building lean muscle.

I want to get stronger and look better, but will no be competing or anything. I was thinking about doing three Olympic ish compound type lifts each workout plus some other accessory work. So an example would be Back squat 5x5, Hang clean 3-5x10 and push press 3-5x15.

Thoughts? Thanks guys!

Yes its possible.

Why did you pick those particular exercises? What are your stats now? Height, weight, rough estimate fat level? What have you been doing as far as working out?

If you get on a proven beginner program such as Starting Strength, you will gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously as long as you don’t overdo it in the kitchen.

Different rep schemes are for different lifts. Push Presses and Hang Cleans are really power moves, where you lift bigger weights for lower reps to develop strength. Stick to the same 5x5 you plan to use for squats. Think about moving heavy weights, with smooth technique. Move the weight, don’t “feel” individual muscles.

The higher reps are better for hypertrophy, and should be used on lifts were you won’t hurt yourself if your form gets a little loose. Also, on lifts that “target” certain areas or muscles a little more. You get a pump in your biceps doing 15 reps in the curl. You don’t go up to a 1 rep max.

A workout could look like

Push Press 5x5
Hang Clean 5x5
Squat 5x5

High Incline Press with Dumbbells 4x10
Medium Grip Pulldown 4x10
Lunge 4x10

Calf Raise 3x15
Sit Ups 3x15

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Yes its possible.

Why did you pick those particular exercises? What are your stats now? Height, weight, rough estimate fat level? What have you been doing as far as working out?

If you get on a proven beginner program such as Starting Strength, you will gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously as long as you don’t overdo it in the kitchen.[/quote]

This isn’t my actual workout. Just an example for rep patterns. I am 5’10", 190 lbs, and about 15% body fat. I have tried several programs over the years, but need the variety. I like to get outdoors as I do mid-level triathlons. But its gym season due to weather. I enjoy olympic lifts, hiit, and did crossfit for a couple of years. It wasn’t really for me, but I did take the good things from it and left the rest. I was thinking about doing weights 3x/week, hiit 1x/week and a plyometric/agility day 1x a week.

For the weightlifting part, I was thinking devoting a day to 3-5 rep scheme, a day to 8-10 rep scheme and a day for 15-20 rep scheme. Or an exercise of each rep scheme on each day. Variety is what will keep me devoted to a program. Thanks for your help!

[quote]Cabediddy wrote:

[quote]Ecchastang wrote:
Yes its possible.

If you get on a proven beginner program such as Starting Strength, you will gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously as long as you don’t overdo it in the kitchen.[/quote]

This isn’t my actual workout. Just an example for rep patterns. I am 5’10", 190 lbs, and about 15% body fat. I have tried several programs over the years, but need the variety. I like to get outdoors as I do mid-level triathlons. But its gym season due to weather. I enjoy olympic lifts, hiit, and did crossfit for a couple of years. It wasn’t really for me, but I did take the good things from it and left the rest. I was thinking about doing weights 3x/week, hiit 1x/week and a plyometric/agility day 1x a week.

For the weightlifting part, I was thinking devoting a day to 3-5 rep scheme, a day to 8-10 rep scheme and a day for 15-20 rep scheme. Or an exercise of each rep scheme on each day. Variety is what will keep me devoted to a program. Thanks for your help!
[/quote]
That would be fine. Just be aware that contrary to Crossfit philosophy, not every movement needs to be worked in all rep ranges. Some fit better with medium to high reps, and some better to low/med rep ranges. For instance, Oly lifts and deadlifts are low/medium. Pullups and bulgarian split squats med/high. Squats can be low, med, or high.