T Nation

Rep Scheme to Use

Howdy folks-
I am starting to get back into weightlifting after like a year of off time(Please Don’t Ask). Well in this time, I have been lucky enough to put on 35lbs of fat. I was thinking of going on Richard Simmons diet ,but thought my dick would fall off if I did so I wound up here. To ease my self back into it for about the next six weeks, what rep scheme should I follow? 4-6 or 8-10 for the best results. Also, what diet would you guys suggest? I am like 6’3" and probably at about 18% BF. I tried t-dawg went it was new and my body doesn’t respond to that diet at all. I tried to tweek everything. Any ideas to go in the right direction would be nice. Thanks guys. And it feels great to be back.

Well, you’ll be eating below maintenance calories, so I don’t think you’d really want to train in the 8-10 rep range, which is generally best for hypertrophy.
You don’t need calories to get stronger - I say work in the 4-6 rep range

Adam Marshall

bump

what do you mean by your body doesnt respond to t-dawg type of diet. (felt crappy, lost muscle, etc)

For nutrition I would recommend figuring your bmr daily kcal expenditure. Based on that I would start with a basic 55/25/20 ratio of carbs/protein/fat. That will give you adequate macronutrients to account for your daily activities and the addition of a training program. For carbs stick with fresh green leafy veggies for phytochemicals and anti-oxidant properties, and low glycemic carbs such as oatmeal and yams. You will also want to include moderate amounts of southern hemisphere fruits for their ascorbic acid and vitamins and generally they are lower on the glycemic index than northern hemisphere fruit but there are exceptions. For fats avoid trans fatty acids and keep saturated fats to a minimum. Stick with the fats from lean meats, chicken, and fish high in omega 3 fatty acids as well as olive oil, flax oil, and nuts such as almonds. Proteins again stick with lean cuts of beef, pork loin, fish, seafood, and skinless chicken. Limit high glycemic carbs to first thing in the morning with a mix of some low glycemic carbs or fiber to replenish glycogen stores, and then again post training to replenish glycogen stores that are used during training. You can combine fats, proteins and fiber with high glycemic index carbs to slow down the assimilation rate via slower gastric emptying from the stomach into the small intestine. Take into consideration that fiber comes in 2 basic forms soluble and unsoluble, concentrate on soluble forms of fiber as they are the form of fiber responsible for lowering blood cholesterol. Like I said earlier they will also help delay gastric emptying and transit which will help with digestive disorders. Forms of soluble fiber are fruits, oats, and legumes. This is just a few ideas that will get you off to a great start then depending on your goals you would fine tune it from there.

I would suggest you start off using a 6x5 set/rep scheme. This allows you to get a lot of practice with the lifts while using a little heavier weight than would be allowed if you just did 2x15. This is a nice way to ease yourself back in and you get strong fairly quickly. KEEP A LOG of what you do. If you do not, you will not know how you responded to what you previously did. And it is good to see how far you have progressed or lack there of. The main thing I would suggest is be consistent. Dont set yourself up for failure. Set yourself up for success. If you choose to go to the gym for 3 days make it 3 days. If you choose 5 go 5. No exceptions. Do not lie to yourself and say that you will go 7x a week. Two things. Its not neccessary and you will dig a hole deeper than you are in. Stick with it.
For right now stick with the basics. Dont do anything too fancy that your current fitness level will not allow.
a good split might be
Monday - Chest and biceps 2 of each
Tuesday- rest
Wednesday - Legs and abs
Thursday - rest
Friday- back and triceps, abs
Regarding cardio 2-4x a week 20-30 minutes initially then we can increase the intensity and decrease the time.