T Nation

Rep Scheme for Goodmornings

I love goodmornings. They help my squat and deadlift a lot. But I was wondering what kind of rep schemes and equipment other people are using with their goodmornings and what kind of results they’ve had from them.

At the moment, I’m doing 5x8 with about 1 minute rest/set without going to failure as supplemental work. I’ve found this to help improve the recovery rate of my posterior chain (less soreness in that area in the following days after leg wo), and work capacity (I can work harder each set and do more sets in a wo).

for me they are an indicator lift, so they are always in the program. right now I do waves where I’ll do sets of 10 for 2 weeks or so, 5’s, and down to doubles or triples. that takes me about 6 weeks. currently using a straight bar, but I have used a cambered bar, and a ss squat bar, bands, chains, depending on what the rest of the program looks like, and what i’m trying to focus on.

Tonight I did sets of 7 with my Jesup bar, post DE box squats. Chain suspended and that felt perfect. I typically go with my gut, and train how I feel.

Last year at this time, I was doing extremely heavy sets of 1-3 but I did not see any additional carryover with the increased percentages.

Tonight, I felt like trying something different so I added 50 more pounds than usual and did 6x5 with longer rest instead. It gave me a lot more of that feeling like when I lean over in a squat and have to correct than higher sets/reps. It also worked the front of my core more. I’m going to keep it up and see what happens maybe even go a little heavier next time. I’m thinking about 3x5 on lower ME day and keep 5x8 with lowering rest periods for progression of DE lower day.

What are bands and chains good for on goodmornings?

To add… Has anyone ever tried Zercher GM’s? They work your trunk like no other move I have done. Try them.

I do sets of 3 or 5.

I dont really get a whole lot out of regualr, straight bar good mornings. Chains suspended goodmornings with a cambered bar and bands or chain seem to work out very well. I will do anything from sets of 10 to finding a 3 rep max. I get so much more out of this than any other variation. I think its because you can really focus on keeping your back arched and tight throughout the motion.

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I dont really get a whole lot out of regualr, straight bar good mornings. Chains suspended goodmornings with a cambered bar and bands or chain seem to work out very well. I will do anything from sets of 10 to finding a 3 rep max. I get so much more out of this than any other variation. I think its because you can really focus on keeping your back arched and tight throughout the motion. [/quote]

how does chain suspended compare to using rack pins to bring the bar down to ?

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
I do sets of 3 or 5.[/quote]

as ME work only ?

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

[quote]StormTheBeach wrote:
I dont really get a whole lot out of regualr, straight bar good mornings. Chains suspended goodmornings with a cambered bar and bands or chain seem to work out very well. I will do anything from sets of 10 to finding a 3 rep max. I get so much more out of this than any other variation. I think its because you can really focus on keeping your back arched and tight throughout the motion. [/quote]

how does chain suspended compare to using rack pins to bring the bar down to ?[/quote]

Easier to set up and get the bar in the right position before you start. Otherwise you’re feet have to be in just the right position and you have to bring the bar down to the same spot every rep.

Pick up some tow-strapping to strap around the top of the rack, it’s cheaper than chains and won’t hurt the rack.

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

[quote]Wild_Iron_Gym wrote:
I do sets of 3 or 5.[/quote]

as ME work only ?[/quote]

3’s if it’s for ME and 5’s if it’s an accessory. I usually do a second barbell movement for sets of 5 after ME. I’ll either work up to a heavy set of 5 or just do 3x5 with something that pushes me a little.

you guys were discussing form in another thread about GM’s , and I think I got it now . it’s not really a “bending over” motion ; it’s more of “pushing your ass backward” motion . not so much pivoting at the lower back as it pivoting at the hip joint…right ?

what about head position…should I retain eye contact in mirror ? or should the head remain nuetral , in line with the spine as as the bar is lowered ? or doesnt it really matter ?

thanks for these threads…very informative .

[quote]marlboroman wrote:
you guys were discussing form in another thread about GM’s , and I think I got it now . it’s not really a “bending over” motion ; it’s more of “pushing your ass backward” motion . not so much pivoting at the lower back as it pivoting at the hip joint…right ?

what about head position…should I retain eye contact in mirror ? or should the head remain nuetral , in line with the spine as as the bar is lowered ? or doesnt it really matter ?

thanks for these threads…very informative .[/quote]

If you’re worried about the mirror than turn the fuck around or make it heavy enough that you can’t see anything. Movement in the mirror will fuck you up everytime.

As far as form, it all depends. My favorite variation is a neutral back reverse band good morning. I pull my shoulders down and back and jam the bar into the shelf that is created. I push my head forward a bit because that is what works for me, I’ve seen others do the same and I can’t explain it, but it feels 10 times better because I can lead with my hips and my upper body will follow my head position. If I try to look up or any of that shit it messes up my alignment and I overarch and lose my upper back tightness.

Once its unracked I breathe into the stomach pushing on my belt, rock back a bit to make sure the weight is on my heels, and then I force my hips back, back, back until my back is a few inches above parallel. If I go too deep on these, then I’ll lose upper back tightness and they become entirely a lower back exercises. If the bar is rolling on you a lot, that’s a good sign that you are going too deep.

I then forcefully squeeze my abs while forcing my head back like a squat, as the weight comes up I focus on pulling my hips through and not passing out at the top.

The next day, I waddle around the house and complain about being ugly and having sore hamstrings.

I love GM’s. I find varying the style,stance and rep scheme help with improving my strength and size. I’ve used bands and even a manta ray with success.

Squat safety bar gms hammer the hell out of my upper back. I’ve found them to be one of the best exercises for upper back leaning forward for a squat (not that I’m an expert by any means).