T Nation

Rep Range for Fat Loss

So I have been cutting for the last couple of weeks, and was wondering what would be the best rep range for fatloss?

I have been sticking to 4-6 so that I can lose fat while losing minimal fat is this a good range?

sure above all yes lift heavy low rep range 5-1 at least omnce a week to force the body to hold the strenght and muscle but mix it up bro. they all work.

Just try and keep the intensity of your work out up may mean they are shorter.

Phill

Conjugate periodization.

It means do it all, in different periods.

[quote]Phill wrote:
sure above all yes lift heavy low rep range 5-1 at least omnce a week to force the body to hold the strenght and muscle but mix it up bro. they all work.

Just try and keep the intensity of your work out up may mean they are shorter.

Phill[/quote]

I think a better response would be to lift the same way that built the muscle in the first place.

If you don’t have much muscle built…then fix that first.

Rep Range for Fat Loss?

I think you are looking at this all wrong. You don’t burn fat by lifting in certain rep ranges. Hear me out.

If you do 5 reps of squats you aren’t really burning a significant amount of calories. If you do 10 reps, you still aren’t. Do 100 reps, who cares. Its not significant.

You should be lifting to increase your strength and musculature, which will in turn increase your basal metabolic rate.

The way to lose fat is to increase your caloric expenditure. And the best way to do that is Sustained cardio at your lower target heartrate.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:

The way to lose fat is to increase your caloric expenditure. And the best way to do that is Sustained cardio at your lower target heartrate.

[/quote]

Or eating a little less.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Phill wrote:
sure above all yes lift heavy low rep range 5-1 at least omnce a week to force the body to hold the strenght and muscle but mix it up bro. they all work.

Just try and keep the intensity of your work out up may mean they are shorter.

Phill

I think a better response would be to lift the same way that built the muscle in the first place.

If you don’t have much muscle built…then fix that first.[/quote]

For sure

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
Rep Range for Fat Loss?

I think you are looking at this all wrong. You don’t burn fat by lifting in certain rep ranges. Hear me out.

If you do 5 reps of squats you aren’t really burning a significant amount of calories. If you do 10 reps, you still aren’t. Do 100 reps, who cares. Its not significant.

You should be lifting to increase your strength and musculature, which will in turn increase your basal metabolic rate.

The way to lose fat is to increase your caloric expenditure. And the best way to do that is Sustained cardio at your lower target heartrate.

[/quote]

I was not asking what rep range burns the most fat but what rep range is best when cutting.

All of the above.

Check this thread out:
http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=724381

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
Rep Range for Fat Loss?

The way to lose fat is to increase your caloric expenditure. And the best way to do that is Sustained cardio at your lower target heartrate.
[/quote]
Antiquated info. What you burn while active is a fraction of what you will burn with more muscle and the EPOC from heavy lifting.

There have been arguments about taking a low rep range and higher load routine to save strength while cutting. Also there have been arguments in favor of the opposite.

As long as your routine is well rounded and hits all the muscle groups,I would think that you should stick with it if you are still making strength gains. Just drop your calories slightly and increase cardio.

I don’t really think there is a best range. Stick with whatever has been working for you and change it if something is going wrong.

Tell me if i am wrong, but i see cutting as a sort of maintenance phase with increased cardio. Your strength will probably stay approximately the same. And strength in certain movements(pullups, pushups, etc) should increase.

[quote]DION88 wrote:
I was not asking what rep range burns the most fat but what rep range is best when cutting. [/quote]

The mcnugster is right. Whatever range gave you the best muscle gains before will allow you to maintain the most mass while you diet and therefor the best cuts.

(In case you don’t know it yet, your diet gives you the cuts, not your reps)

Leave the “3-5 reps are for strength, 6-10 reps are for size, and 12-15 reps for cuts” BS for the muscle mags.

[quote]Chickenmcnug wrote:
strength in certain movements(pullups, pushups, etc) should increase.[/quote]

Do you know why that is or are you just regurgitating things you’ve read?

[quote]eengrms76 wrote:
Chickenmcnug wrote:
strength in certain movements(pullups, pushups, etc) should increase.

Do you know why that is or are you just regurgitating things you’ve read?[/quote]

If your body weight decreases and your strength stays the same, then your relative strength increases. Bodyweight movements will be a lot easier.

I read everything I said in a book. In fact, I don’t really speak english at all. That sentance I just wrote is a memorized formation of letters and symbols.

I understand nothing.

Low rep ranges help preserve the LBM you have while cutting.

Diet is the key to fat loss.

You did not post your stats. That is key to knowing if you have enough LBM to even think about cutting in the first place.

[quote]DION88 wrote:

So I have been cutting for the last couple of weeks, and was wondering what would be the best rep range for fatloss?

I have been sticking to 4-6 so that I can lose fat while losing minimal fat is this a good range?[/quote]

I have been trying to cut for the past 3 weeks. I’ve been lifting in the 8-10 range and waveloading some. I’m getting stronger and losing weight, I don’t know if its the best way to go about it, but I’ve lost 2 inches from my waist. I also started precision nutrition in August and it has made a world of difference.

this is pretty much exactly what i was gonna say…so, i suggest you just look at Joel Marions Ripped Rugged and Dense, and also Waterbury’s 10x3 for fatloss. Good luck with the cut.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Phill wrote:
sure above all yes lift heavy low rep range 5-1 at least omnce a week to force the body to hold the strenght and muscle but mix it up bro. they all work.

Just try and keep the intensity of your work out up may mean they are shorter.

Phill

I think a better response would be to lift the same way that built the muscle in the first place.

If you don’t have much muscle built…then fix that first.[/quote]

I don’t think most people can handle the same kind of volume on a caloric deficit as they can when maintaining or bulking. But the intensity should still be there. Heavy lifting should be continued.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Phill wrote:
sure above all yes lift heavy low rep range 5-1 at least omnce a week to force the body to hold the strenght and muscle but mix it up bro. they all work.

Just try and keep the intensity of your work out up may mean they are shorter.

Phill

I think a better response would be to lift the same way that built the muscle in the first place.

If you don’t have much muscle built…then fix that first.[/quote]

But the first question does need to be if cutting is appropriate in the first place. I definitely agree on that one.

I don’t think anybody really knows that answer to this question. There are plenty of examples of all kinds of athletes using all kinds of rep ranges and losing all their fat. My guess is that the key is intensity, however one chooses to do it.