T Nation

Rep PRs Stalled?

Jim, I have stopped setting rep pr's for a few months now what would you recommend? I was thinking just doing the required reps and first set last 3-5x5 for a while? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried this strategy:

Reset your TM - back by 3 cycles.
Select a new template, I like ones with higher volume for the step back
Smash your old PRs at the lighter weights (you’ll probably find you haven’t stalled but have a smaller strength gain than can be shown at the weights you are lifting)

We rarely stall with PR’s - this is probably due to the 5 forward/3 back and constantly changing supplemental work and focus.

Understand that the 5/3/1 program is hard and you can’t keep doing the same thing over and over again. So while the principles are solid, you have to approach things a bit differently - thus the different variations. For example, and this is a worn out cliche, but eating X amount of food to get to x weight/strength only works for awhile. At some point, you gotta feed the engine more gas. Too many times people expect the same stuff to work that got them from 300-400 pound squat. it just doesn’t work that way.

And that is why it is hard to get stronger once you get to a certain point.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
We rarely stall with PR’s - this is probably due to the 5 forward/3 back and constantly changing supplemental work and focus.

Understand that the 5/3/1 program is hard and you can’t keep doing the same thing over and over again. So while the principles are solid, you have to approach things a bit differently - thus the different variations. For example, and this is a worn out cliche, but eating X amount of food to get to x weight/strength only works for awhile. At some point, you gotta feed the engine more gas. Too many times people expect the same stuff to work that got them from 300-400 pound squat. it just doesn’t work that way.

And that is why it is hard to get stronger once you get to a certain point. [/quote] You are dead right about its hard to get stronger im in it for the long haul have been training since i was 13 through football like many others and love it. What template would either of you suggest? Goal is maximal strength as i am looking to compete one day. Im guessing it dosnt matter what template as all have same principles? Also will eat more thankyou jim and tsantos.

[quote]Shaun87 wrote:

And that is why it is hard to get stronger once you get to a certain point. [/quote] You are dead right about its hard to get stronger im in it for the long haul have been training since i was 13 through football like many others and love it. What template would either of you suggest? Goal is maximal strength as i am looking to compete one day. Im guessing it dosnt matter what template as all have same principles? Also will eat more thankyou jim and tsantos.
[/quote]. Jim, I have decided to drop my tm a bit lower than what i have started with before and use 5’s pro with 5x5 fsl after main sets to build up a bigger base. Ive noticed you mostly recommend 5’s pro 3 day week 1 upper 1 lower each day with accessories. Any reason why i cant do upper lower 4 day with this? So day 1-squat-5’s pro and 5x5 fsl. Ghr/weighted abs. Day 2-bench press-5’s pro with 5x5 fsl supersetted with chinups and rows. Day 3-deadlift-same as squat. Day 4-overhead press-same as bench press. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

And that is why it is hard to get stronger once you get to a certain point. [/quote]

This is a good reminder. I know how to go from 300-400 in the squat. Now it’s getting to 500.