T Nation

Rep Calculator?

I noticed with routines like Strength based mesocycles and others that it requires 3/7/10 rep maxes for start of weights. I now how to come up with a single rep max but how does one figure this out other then trial and error in the gym?

I like using this calculator:

www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

On top of the 1RM, it also gives you the % weight of the 1RM. From there I guess it's a bit of trial and error to calculate your 5,6,7RMs. Rule of thumb: if you use 75% of your 1RM, you'll manage 10 reps.

Hope this helps!

Dude, approximate.

When I see programs that are that detailed it turns me completely off. Who's to say 2/6/9 or 4/8/11 or what ever other combination you could think of wouldnt generate as good of results?

You're working out, not binding multiple chemical compounds.

Its because of this that I prefer simple concepts and guidelines like EDT or even Dan John's OLAD programs.

Sorry for not answering your question and highjacking your thread.

Good site. Thanks

Yeah, I feel the same way. I'm sticking to a simple 5x5 right now. I just pick up the pink dumbells (the light blue ones if I'm feeling strong that day) and crank out 5 reps. No thinking, no calculating RMs, just plain ol' hard work with the plastic-covered iron.

Those are just guidelines.

If a program calls for, say, 4x6 with 8RM, that doesn't mean you actually need to test the 8RM and use that same exact weight. It just says the weight should be heavy enough that the workout is challenging.

Just go a bit lighter the first few workouts. If you get all the reps, increase a little next time. And that's it.

For me:

3 RM = 92.5% of 1RM
5 RM = 88% of 1RM

Some day, I hope to use pink dumbells in my workout too. But I've got a ways to go before I get there.